Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy a new bike shortly and have a couple of questions:

1: What is the factory recommended break in procedure for a new (EFI) Bonneville?
This is not to restart that debate. I am looking for what the factory/dealer recommends. It may make a difference on where I purchase since I will be riding it home and not trailering it.

2: Is it better to add new pipes prior to break in or wait until after break in?
I have never swapped pipes on a new bike and so I don't know the potential implications. At the moment I am leaning towards the TORs if they are available on the 2009s.

Thanks in Advance.

·
29,948 Posts
1. Can't remember - hopefully someone else will chip in.

2. Doesn't really matter, I suggest you feel out your dealer a bit - make sure he won't be arsey about warranty if you change the pipes early. A lot of dealers change pipes on brand new bikes, and TORs are from the factory, so it shouldn't be an issue. From an absolute technical standpoint it's no issue, only from your dealers attitude.

PS thread moved into twins tech talk. Cheers!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I am planning to buy a new bike shortly and have a couple of questions:

1: What is the factory recommended break in procedure for a new (EFI) Bonneville?
This is not to restart that debate. I am looking for what the factory/dealer recommends. It may make a difference on where I purchase since I will be riding it home and not trailering it.
My dealer "suggested" first 500 miles ride under 4,000 rpm. He also said it's mainly of importance to cool it for the first 150 to 200 miles. No full throttle acceleration and vary cruise speeds. 60 for awhile, then 65, back to 55, etc.

sbaker33 said:
2: Is it better to add new pipes prior to break in or wait until after break in?
I have never swapped pipes on a new bike and so I don't know the potential implications. At the moment I am leaning towards the TORs if they are available on the 2009s.

Thanks in Advance.
My dealer said it was fine to install aftermarket pipes so I had them load a richer tune, rode it home and installed my Norman Hyde Togas. My bike runs perfectly and sounds great as well ;). I highly recommend the NH Togas.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The main thing when breaking in your bike in is variety. Run it up and down through the gears as much as possible and keep it in town. Interstate speeds and sustained speed are not recommended. As xchopper suggested, don't go nuts on the throttle, give the engine time to break in. That being said, I could not resist hot rodding once or twice during my break in and 10,000 miles later, I see no ill effects. Have fun with it. You only break it in once and you will probably get all those miles in over one weekend if you are as excited about your bike as I was.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dealer recommendaion's on breaking in motors are a dime a dozen. The bottom line is, unless you are pinning it to the rev limiter in each gear...or riding down the freeway at the exact same rpm / speed for hours...you arent gonna hurt the bike.

These motors were designed by Cosworth, and are over engineered heavily.

I got a 904 BB kit installed on my bonnie @ 3400+ miles...when I went to pick up the bike from having the install done I intended to bring it home in a truck..the lead mech told me it was broken in...and I wasn't going to hurt it.

They broke it in on a dyno..

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Ride it like you stole it. Just not full throttle runs. Well maybe a couple. I think the most important thing is to change the oil early the first 2-3 oil changes. I changed my first time at 450 miles. Then again at 1,000 miles. It had metal particles in the oil both times. This is normal. The transmission is using the same oil. Wished I had changed it earlier. But at 20,000 miles it hasn't had a bit of trouble. Change the filter too. Hey let's start another oil thread. Yeah. That's it.

Bob.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked on the US site prior to posting and did not find this. I checked again after your post and it appears not to be available here. Odd.

I am downloading the one from the link you posted and, hopefully, they will be close enough for my purposes.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts