Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Sad day for me. My beatiful baby not even 200 miles on it completely stock. 45 mph 4th gear comin on a left curve. Even before I started to lean in Iost thefront. In the blink of an eye I found myself sliding next to my beatiful machine. 5-6 yards later bike hits the curb on its two wheels (and I think thats a great angle)
goes couple of feet air borne and lands on a soft grass lawn on its right side. I lift the bike up; Oil tank is all broken up, the stand falls off, scratches onthe tank , engine cover, bar end, end of the swingarm.. Moment later I notice the seat is sitting funny. I lift the seat up and find the frame under the seat clean cut broken!! I was shocked. The other side was snapped too. I mean there was no weight on it and it was low speed slide ... My leathers wasnt hurt for gods sake.
Anyways I live in La area and will drive anywhere, any recomendations.
big rook

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I want to get it fixed. I just dont know who should I take it to. Im just afraid of an dealer nightmares.

·
Registered
20 Posts
At least you are OK. However, that would be quite a shock, especially considering that the bike was so new.

If that happened to me, I'd take the bike to the dealer since the dealer is supposed to be familiar with the bike had have access to the necessary parts. However, beware of hidden damage. It could be that after your insurance company has the dealer make a quotation and authorizes the repair, hidden damage could be found upon disassembly; that happened to me and it complicated things somewhat.

Considering that the bike landed on grass, I'm surprised that there was so much damage.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Do you have a garage and any mechanical skills? If you have the space, it may be a good time to learn a little wrenching. If it's just the bottom case cover and a side case on the motor, you may get off easy. The harder thing may be be getting the frame sorted out. Consumers asked for a super light sportbike and unfortunately, they're not built to withstand a crash. Find a GMD Computrack in your area. They might have some recommendations. Here is their site:

http://www.gmd-computrack.com/network.php

They might be able to send it out to a welder to get your broken bits re-attached. If the important parts of the frame are broken, I don't know if anyone will want to weld it for you due to the legal liability involved. Then you may need wheels and maybe forks too..

I'm taking an educated guess here, but you will be the one that has to tear it down and get the parts and pieces to re-assemble it. I don't know of anyone who would would undertake such a project and not charge you almost what a new bike would cost. Again, you're dealing with legal liability, in California no less, and I don't think anyone will want to do the work. Watch out for the garage mechanic that says he'll put it back together in a week for $500... If it's too good to be true, it probably is...

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
I doubt the cast frame is weldable. Maybe glueable but not weldable. In any case with that much damage to the wheels and frame I would definitely get the frame alignment checked if I were planning on fixing it. I wouldn't even think about riding it without getting it checked.

My guess with the damage I see is that you are looking at a min of about 4k in parts.

Did you hit a man hole cover or something? I've gone down at those speeds in town before. It turned out there was 4 inch wide strip of oil going down the road and I hit it just as I turned and lost the front similar to you.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
I had some castings welded by a chap with MAD welding skills... They're out there, but they are tough to find.
The question is not really if it can be welded it's more about wether the aluminum will retain it's strength after welding. Anyone remember when Triumph was making their come back and they produced a bike (can't remember the model) with a type of Aluminum that had to be bonded not welded. Well Triumph instead of following the Aluminum manufacturers advice they went and welded the frame and they had a couple failures where the forks broke off.

I'm not saying that the aluminum on these frames are the same way since they have been very clearly welded. What I am saying is there are a lot of different types of aluminum and you have to know exactly what it is or else you will weaken the aluminum rather than strengthening it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Bike is a totaled. Did you pay cash, and that is why you don't have insurance?
Personally, I don't understand why anyone would not have insurance, but even here in Missouri it is a state law, and I would still guess almost a third of drivers on the road don't have it.

I could go on a rant here, but will just shut T.H.U now. Good luck on the repairs!

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Personally, I don't understand why anyone would not have insurance...
Well, there's insurance, and then there's insurance. Liability insurance (to protect other people) is mandated by law in most places. Collision and comprehensive coverage (protecting you from loss--the kind of coverage that seems to be missing here) are required by vehicle lenders, but are your choice if you pay cash. It's still not wise to be without it on a new vehicle, IMO.

·
Registered
366 Posts
no insurance money will be involved. I know.
I'm hoping this is not a case of "financed bike with no insurance". Not sure of your location, but in USA it is a crime to NOT have FULL insurance coverage on a vehicle not outright owned (lien holder/financed) and will call for pay out (at best) and possible jail time (likely) as this is a serious crime. Not saying you did...but if this IS the situation...I would certainly NOT go to the dealer (unless you want to get locked up). There are two options for this case...get another loan to pay of theirs before it is found that this crime happened...or keep the bike, fix/repair/custom it, and get insurance PRONTO (no one the wiser as to what happened). Again...I hope this isn't the case, and +1 that you didn't get hurt!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Sorry to hear of your crash and glad you are still around to tell the tale. Instead of trying to get your current frame fixed, you might be better off trying to find a Street Triple or Daytona frame to transplant your motor and stuff into. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts