Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading all the threads over an extended period, and reading about: m/c replacement, entire system replacement, line replacement, repeated bleedings and other approaches, the only spark of hope I've seen for a quick and complete fix is to replace the pistons in the calipers. It's been mentioned more than once, that replacing these with CURRENT spec units removes the soft or "progressive" brake travel. I personally would be willing to just pony up for new pistons, IF, I repeat IF this actually fix things. Can anybody second this, confirm it, assure me, further substantiate this approach etc.???

thanks, kjazz

btw: does anybody know what current spec pistons and their installation are worth?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey,
I searched the Speed Triple site and read every brake related post before I bought my 06 S3. A salesman from a Triumph shop in California said the cure for mushy brakes was to replace the caliper pistons in the S3 with caliper pistons from a 675. The S3 and 675 brakes are identical but the 675 pistons received some kind of special coating. He said Triumph was aware of the problem and was quietly replacing the pistons. The fix was not the m/c or calipers or air in the system. It was the caliper pistons. I have an 06 S3 but the date of manufacture is 6/05. My brakes are perfect...I got lucky. Anyway new 675 pistons are the cure.
Fred

·
Registered
684 Posts
My 10/05 production '06 S3 has coated pistons and they're excellent. I'm at 6,000 miles and the only time I've touched the brakes is when I've had the front wheel off for another reason. It's been 2,300 miles since I last had the front wheel off and touched the brakes and my brakes are excellent. A buddy, who rode my bike recently, spontaneously commented on the superb front brakes.

As a point of comparison, my brother's '05 S3 has the usual problem where the lever travel increases dramatically within a few hundred miles of doing a piston push.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have an '07 S3 and I have found the brake lever to have too much travel after only 600 miles. My buddy has an R6 and he said, "what the hell is wrong with your brake lever?" I haven't had to really get on the brakes hard yet, but I'm not really looking forward to it. The brakes stop the bike, but it's like you have to learn how to stop every time you ride. My Brembos on my Ducati were spot on and I can't really tell if it's in my head or if they are just different. Next time I'm at the dealer I plan on having them check it out and show me how these '07s are different from previous models.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Good ? kwajazz.

Sounds like definite maybe :???: .

I've been holding off deciding on another bike for the 07's to arrive. This is one of the concerns it appeared had been addressed during ongoing production updates. The 06/2005 date of manufacture is the earliest I have heard with new 675 style pistons.

Would you guys please verify pistons are of new 675 spec. It doesn't make sense that SavageHenry would suffer "old" part issues when mid-year 05 builds have "newer" pieces.

I read the color of the finish allows for an on bike inspection to determine if new or old, but I don't know for sure. The time line information would help me decide on a holdover bike or not and for many others in kwajazz situation.

Thanks,
BobW

·
Registered
969 Posts
anybody know what the cost of the 675 pistons are, and how hard is a caliper rebuild. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but don't have a whole lot of tools. I'd rather spend the money on new tools than pay the dealer to do it. As far as I know you need the pistons and some new seals no?

·
Banned
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those still interested in my latest info....

I just spoke with the guys at RPM Cycles here in Dallas, very well respected shop with knowledgable and trustworthy staff. They told me parts cost for the replacement of stock brake pistons and seals and materials would be about $280.00 for both sides of course, and labor will be 1 or 2 hours (not sure). They also said Triumph absolutely is NOT warrantying (sp) any of this. So I figure having great brakes on an otherwise great machine is worth $300 or $400 clams.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

kjazz

·
Banned
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So any GSXR brakes (calipers) work? Specifically what year and model and do they bolt right up or require spacers to be fab'd up or what? I really like putting original parts on my bikes etc. but only slightly less than keeping green in my wallet. Thanks, kjazz

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
On 2006-11-18 08:00, kwajazz wrote:
So any GSXR brakes (calipers) work? Specifically what year and model and do they bolt right up or require spacers to be fab'd up or what? I really like putting original parts on my bikes etc. but only slightly less than keeping green in my wallet. Thanks, kjazz
Do a search on this forum, there a plenty of guys who have done the switch.

K6 1000/750 Tokicos. Direct bolt on. Might need spacers under GSX-R caliper mounting bolts or a little shorter bolts as I have been told that the Gixxer bolts are a few mm too long for the S3 fork legs. Caliper spacing however should be right without spacers, the spacers are only needed to prevent bolts bottoming out.

I have not checked the bolt thing yet myself as the Tokicos I sourced from ebay came without the bolts.

[ This message was edited by: Martin_R on 2006-11-18 08:40 ]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
alright! back from the shop and test ride.
brakes are fixed. done! perfect! triumph finally gave the go ahead for new pistons and seals and so far it couldn't be any more perfect. ahhhh... finally.

got the tors map on too, and there is a noticeable difference! it feels more beefy from 0 revs to the top. it's actually harder to hang onto now. :) the bike feel very well done now.

the shop "didn't have time" to adjust the sag, so i was kind of bummed on that one.
that's next i guess.
so basically, you take your bike in for 3 bleeds, then on the 4th bring-in, triumph will warranty the brake issue. (that's the trend i'm seeing anyway)
so i'm a happy camper.
-b

·
Registered
700 Posts
Brakes only slow you down. It's a lot easier to be a faster rider when you don't have them to get in your way.
:idea:

·
Banned
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So Zoo', They did warranty this??!! Guys in Dallas are saying Triumph wont do that!!! Did you have to pay anything at all, like for the three bleed jobs??

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
On 2006-11-18 18:37, kwajazz wrote:
So Zoo', They did warranty this??!! Guys in Dallas are saying Triumph wont do that!!! Did you have to pay anything at all, like for the three bleed jobs??
hey jazzy,
yup, it was all warranty. all the previous bleeds, and this final install of new pistons - warranty.
i didn't pay squat. so the money i saved i bought a triumph shirt and cap. :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
So, how many of you have done the new piston fix and had it NOT work? I know at least two people who've had it done under warranty and been disappointed.

Not to mention I've checked out a number of Daytona 675's that supposedly have the coated pistons: Their brakes were so mushy you could have eaten them for breakfast with brown sugar and cream.

I don't know anybody who's done the GSXR/Tokico swap that isn't happy with it.

Money well spent is my guess.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
yeah, if this isn't the final solution, then i take it back and we get what ever it takes to make this correct. i'm not rolling over on this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts