Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI
I have installed NH rear set on my scrambler 2011.
Then i had an inssue with bleeding the brakes, i manage it somehow but the pedal was very hard ( stiff)
I have ordered speed bleeders, installed them today.
Well, is much easier to work, no air on the brake hose i think, but the pedal is very hard again, so hard that in brakes like 0-1 , no brakes, or full brake. I can not feel the progress.
WHat is wrong?
Is still the air on thet or master cylinder has faild?
Please help

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
HI
I have installed NH rear set on my scrambler 2011.
Then i had an inssue with bleeding the brakes, i manage it somehow but the pedal was very hard ( stiff)
I have ordered speed bleeders, installed them today.
Well, is much easier to work, no air on the brake hose i think, but the pedal is very hard again, so hard that in brakes like 0-1 , no brakes, or full brake. I can not feel the progress.
WHat is wrong?
Is still the air on thet or master cylinder has faild?
Please help
I something stopping your piston retracting all the way (pedal staying partly down) this will stop fluid exiting the system and can build up pressure.

·
Registered
968 Posts
There is a check valve at the bottom of most master cylinder reservoirs, and if this gets fouled, it won't allow fluid to return to the master cylinder after you are no longer calling for brake force. That's something to check too. On a bike so new as yours, I would not expect the fluid to be already fouled.

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
Martin, when are you going to start riding that bike? And show us some pictures.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im riding the bike already, but small inssue all theh way like that one.
is just hard to bolive like one small job turn for a long term inssue.
I have followed the instruction from NH and it was my mistake, i should us emy expirience and do not disconnect the hose.
Now i have hard pedal with no solution,
no idea what is going on now:(

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Just to clarify, does the brake release (completely) when you take your foot off?
If the pedal is permanently hard this would indicate that fluid has got into the system but cannot get out (MC piston not coming back past reservoir port or port blocked), the brake may release when the system is cold but as things warm up and the fluid increases in volume the pads will start to apply (then more heat builds up and you're on a downward spiral).
If it is just a case of the brake being on/off then perhaps it is not a hydraulic issue, maybe pad out of position.
Can you describe the symptoms in a little more detail please.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
One thing I've noticed on mine is that the required free-play on the brake pedal is achieved by making the clevis joint where the brake push-rod is attached a loose-fit. Does the NH joint do that or is it a tight fit?.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, i did it and it works. But also i need to change the hose between master cylinder and the fluid reserviour as the stock one is too short ( NH sets make MC almost in vertical position) .
So the hose was too short and in was bended. The fluid has come , if the pressure was litle or with the help with the pomp, but after i put all stuff together the hose blocked fluid and MC did not get it . I have change the hose for longer one and it works ok.
In general , i need to say that that the quality of this set is not as good as OEM, what of course i did not know before i bought it. Is ok for me now as it makes bike looks older, but it should be inproved anyway.
Good that problem is solved.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
yes, i did it and it works. But also i need to change the hose between master cylinder and the fluid reserviour as the stock one is too short ( NH sets make MC almost in vertical position) .
So the hose was too short and in was bended. The fluid has come , if the pressure was litle or with the help with the pomp, but after i put all stuff together the hose blocked fluid and MC did not get it . I have change the hose for longer one and it works ok.
In general , i need to say that that the quality of this set is not as good as OEM, what of course i did not know before i bought it. Is ok for me now as it makes bike looks older, but it should be inproved anyway.
I think I'd call it a day on the mod's now and just ride the thing!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I have found a lot of NH stuff is not as good as OEM.

Plasma.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeap, the rear set is rubish, i can tell now. Is weak, does not work ok on the brake pedal site ( if u push the pedal all modul is moving), too much loose on the pedal. WHat suprised me , the pedal is too short, even with ZARD cross exhaust. I can not imagine install it with the OEM exhaust , it would be a big inssue to put the boot on the pedal as it is too short. After all i have decided to come back for OEM stuff...

Ok, so i still have a problem with the rear brake. Is hard pedal, loos in teh begining then sudenlly very hard, no progression at all.
I have thake off all fluid , and without fluid master cylinder works ok ( like a pomp) progressivlly, but if i use it when connected to the brake system, it becomes strange as i have described.

May it be a cliper?
Please help , no idea what to do.

Anyway, is there any aftermarket system for scrambler?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.