Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's new front and rear Brembo 4-piston brake kits from Free Spirits in Italy.
The front kit includes new larger 320mm rotors, the rear re-uses the OEM disc and the kit(s) work with the OEM master cylinders.
They're expensive but certainly a huge improvement over the stock brakes.
Not an upgrade I'd probably do, but they are pretty nice.
It's great to know the Trident is getting this kind of aftermarket attention already.
If anyone finds more brake upgrades as they hit the market, please feel free to post them here.
Would definitely like to see some stainless steel brake line options.

Bolt-in Upgrade braking kit for Triumph Trident 660 (4p. calipers & rotors diam. 320 mm) - KIT - New Products - TRIUMPH

Rear brake caliper 4 pot kit for Triumph Trident 660 - KIT - New Products - TRIUMPH

303815kk_sito.jpeg 305315k_sito.jpeg

·
Registered
48 Posts
My question would be how it would integrate with the ABS system.

Are the factory lines on the Trident braided steel? Haven't looked at them closely in a bit, but last time I did they looked to be braided steel covered with a black plastic coating.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My question would be how it would integrate with the ABS system.

Are the factory lines on the Trident braided steel? Haven't looked at them closely in a bit, but last time I did they looked to be braided steel covered with a black plastic coating.
ABS integration is a great question, I don't know. I don't think the actual caliper has anything to do with ABS, it's controlled via the ECU, but it's definitely a good question. Having much stronger braking could affect how ABS engages I suppose...
I don't know if the brake lines are SS from the factory or not, I just assumed that they aren't as many mfg's use the much cheaper rubber lines to keep costs down, which would track with the Trident as an 'entry level' bike and the other components in the system. Maybe someone has a definitive answer on this?

·
Registered
48 Posts
ABS integration is a great question, I don't know. I don't think the actual caliper has anything to do with ABS, it's controlled via the ECU, but it's definitely a good question. Having much stronger braking could affect how ABS engages I suppose...
I don't know if the brake lines are SS from the factory or not, I just assumed that they aren't as most mfg's use the much cheaper rubber lines to keep costs down, which would track with the Trident as an 'entry level' bike and the other components in the system. Maybe someone has a definitive answer on this?
I see these as a great option for those that want a braking upgrade but don't want to upgrade to a Street Triple RS to get it. If there's a definitive answer on the ABS integration, I could see myself getting these to upgrade eventually.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I see these as a great option for those that want a braking upgrade but don't want to upgrade to a Street Triple RS to get it. If there's a definitive answer on the ABS integration, I could see myself getting these to upgrade eventually.
The ABS system runs off the light grey slotted inner ring that's bolted to the rotors. Upgrading the brakes should have no impact on the ABS system as it a separate part from the rotors and brakes. It's likely hood of activating might up go but that would be because of you locking the tires up from braking to strongly. Though that being said, the T660s brakes aren't bad for what this bike is. It's definitely not worth 1000 pound to upgrade the brakes. Braided brake lines and pads, sure, but the nissin calipers are just fine for the weight and power of this bike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The ABS system runs off the light grey slotted inner ring that's bolted to the rotors. Upgrading the brakes should have no impact on the ABS system as it a separate part from the rotors and brakes. It's likely hood of activating might up go but that would be because of you locking the tires up from braking to strongly. Though that being said, the T660s brakes aren't bad for what this bike is. It's definitely not worth 1000 pound to upgrade the brakes. Braided brake lines and pads, sure, but the nissin calipers are just fine for the weight and power of this bike.
You are correct the activation of the abs is controlled by the silver ring, however how the abs system actually works is by interrupting the flow of fluid to the caliper when the system senses the wheel locking. Changing the calipers could have an effect on how the system performs, as the volume of fluid in the system has changed. ABS systems usually work by modulating pressure in the system, but pressure is a function of volume... change the volume, change the pressure.
Does the trident need bigger and better brakes, no, it doesn’t need them. Could it still benefit from better braking performance? Yes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You are correct the activation of the abs is controlled by the silver ring, however how the abs system actually works is by interrupting the flow of fluid to the caliper when the system senses the wheel locking. Changing the calipers could have an effect on how the system performs, as the volume of fluid in the system has changed. ABS systems usually work by modulating pressure in the system, but pressure is a function of volume... change the volume, change the pressure.
Does the trident need bigger and better brakes, no, it doesn’t need them. Could it still benefit from better braking performance? Yes.
Correct, but the calipers are what's changing, not the entire system, so the calipers will likely hold more fluid but that's it, and the fluid control wouldn't affect the fluid already in the caliper but rather the added pressure from compressing the brake lever. And it's Brembo, I seriously doubt they are releasing a half ass product that could cause an issue like the one you're describing. Personally, I have no doubt the engineers of brembo and triumph know their stuff and there will be no issues with the systems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Correct, but the calipers are what's changing, not the entire system, so the calipers will likely hold more fluid but that's it, and the fluid control wouldn't affect the fluid already in the caliper but rather the added pressure from compressing the brake lever. And it's Brembo, I seriously doubt they are releasing a half ass product that could cause an issue like the one you're describing. Personally, I have no doubt the engineers of brembo and triumph know their stuff and there will be no issues with the systems.
You still aren’t understanding how it works. The system includes the calipers. The volume in the calipers is taken into consideration when calculating the pressure. If you increase the amount of fluid in the calipers, the pressure being added back to reapply the brakes after the interruption must increase. So if the system still thinks it has the volume of the factory brakes it won’t operate correctly. As well as interrupting the braking when locked, this would also have to be taken into consideration to ensure the abs will still be able to interrupt the braking.

Also, these aren’t sold by brembo or triumph.... it is a third party who made adaptors for existing parts on an existing motorcycle. Triumph and brembo had nothing to do with the design of the kit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts