Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes... another brake thread. :???:

My rotors are warped on my '03 ST. Basically they surge, vibrate and shake. What they do not do is inspire confidence in stopping.
I found a pair of used Rotors from a"very lightly used 01".

Will the fit on my '03? I assume they will, and I know they might not be any better - but if the price is right - is there any harm to try 'em?

Over the winter I plan to try the Kawi mod - is it really that easy? I have access to a 98 ZX6 that could be a good donor bike?

I love this bike, but the brakes are scary bad.

Thanks,
-DNA

·
Registered
924 Posts
Although I haven't verified them 100% but I believe all the Sprint RS and ST brake components up front are the same from 99-04.

Comment, although a lot of guys have had the warping issue, IMO an 03 should not be warping like that unless you ride the track a lot, and I mean a LOT.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Do a double check. Somewhere in the line Triumph used a 5 bolt pattern and a 6 bolt pattern on the front hub assembly. I don't know the specific years involved though. I don't think there are any other differences in the Daytona, Speed Triple, and Sprint front brakes.

Be very careful with used rotors! I bought some from a DEALER who sells on E-Bay all the time and I specifically asked if the rotors were warped. Accord to HIS description they were CHERRY units. For some reason that voice in the back of my head said to buy the Pay Pal insurance on this item. (the first and only time I have so far too) Sure enough when I got the rotors one was BENT by more than 3/4"!! You don't need a dial indicator to check that one! I could see it with my eyes! Actually I checked that rotor on the floor with a ruler! Of course the seller denied knowing they were bent and blamed the shipper. If you can't get them in your hands to check before buying I think I might pass.

[ This message was edited by: Stlakid on 2006-11-13 15:22 ]

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I went down this road with my 99 ST when my front discs ended up thin and warped. I couldnt get a set of second hand front discs that were in better condition than the ones I had and I spent a lot of time at wrecking yards going through their stock myself.

I ended up getting a set of EBC discs. They are a bit expensive, but cheaper than buying from Triumph and I was happy with them.

I'm not sure if there are businesses in your part of the world that make brakes discs, but here in Australia there are a few. I have said this many times before - dont buy from them or be VERY cautious if you do. One company here advertises that their discs have triple the life of original - this is of course c*** and their discs are rubbish from new.

Hope this helps.
Brett.

·
Registered
709 Posts
On 2006-11-13 15:06, rodneybrown wrote:
Although I haven't verified them 100% but I believe all the Sprint RS and ST brake components up front are the same from 99-04.

Comment, although a lot of guys have had the warping issue, IMO an 03 should not be warping like that unless you ride the track a lot, and I mean a LOT.
I am on my second set and they are starting to go south. I got lucky and got this set from someone on here that wrecked an ST with 400 miles on the clock. Rotors still had them machining marks on them. EBC's are next for me.

I have only had the Sprint at the track once! I live in the Shenandoah valley, hard riding is the norm. I probally did mine in riding the mountains 2up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts