Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've recently bought a scrambler, and a the black reservoir replacement.

Naive me assumed this would be a really simple swap, and I'm sure to most people it would be....

I thought I followed instructions etc, but now there is zero pressure in the brake lever and I'm stuck. I'd like to avoid limping it to the dealer with the rear brake only, for them to charge me for a piss easy fix.

The reservoir is full of fluid. I've done the pump the lever a million times, release the nipple on the brake to release air, re-close, release lever. Zero result, although air seems to have stopped and fluid only is released. If I hold my thumb over the nipple hole and depress the lever I can feel a tiny amount of pushback, but I mean tiny.

Nothing has been replaced other than the reservoir. Nothing has been broken or tampered with other than the top hose and opening the bleed nipple thing.

Help me out and save me the embarrassment of seeing the dealer with an amateurs issue!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
you have without doubt managed to get air in the system. The simplist (least technical) fix would be to but an elastic band on the brake lever, and pull it back to the handle. Leave it like that, and tap the caliper, brake hose and top brake hose nut in that order, and do it every hour or so over a period of 24 hours. Then remove the reservoir cap, tap everything from bottom to top and gently squeeze the lever whilst tapping the top nut..you should see bubbles coming out of the bottom of the res......continue, until you get no more air and your brake lever should have pressure.

The quicker way is to bleed the res. by slightly undoing the top hose nut, covering it with a good towel, pumping until fluid comes aout and then tightening the nut. Then bleed as normal........make sure the res. doesn't empty

Rob

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Might also be worth sending a letter to the pixies to tell them you need some help so they'll bleed it for you overnight. If you tied the lever back before you started you wouldn't have a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts