Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of you who've been cursed like me with recurring front brake/disc problems I finally have an answer. The problem is not the pads or the disc - they are just the symptom, which is why replacing them does not solve anything. The damage is caused by the front wheel hub that has not been machined properly. This is not common on Bonnies/T100s but is a recognised fault. It then marginally puts out of alignment the disc and pads, causing warping and pad erosion. Unfortunately the diagnosis was not made by the dealer (On Yer Triumph) I bought the bike from just 6 months ago and who sent me on my way after telling me "it rides like any bonnie" and subsequently have ignored my written correspondence. Instead it was detected - and fixed under warranty - by North City Triumph and their head mechanic Martin. I can see why they're Triumph's top dealer for customer service. Bloody brilliant and they make a fine cup of tea! Cheers, Adam :cool:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Adam, you indicated the hub machine issue was not common but is a recognized issue. Anybody have an opinion as to whether or not if a bike has over 4,000 m miles that it is most likely not going to have the brakes as an issue in the future? I certainly hope so. Thanks for the info. Now if you can get an answer on the rear spoke breakage problem, that will will be an excellent start to problem solving of the various Bonnie issues. Good information. I bookmark all of the issues in case they come up on my bike so I can print them out and take them to my dealer in case I have need. Fortunately I have not experienced these problems.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Glad to hear you finally seem to have found a solution to this. It didn't seem very likely that the discs themselves were at fault as it only seemed to happen repeatedly to the same (relatively small number of) people. The calipers are also used on numerous other bikes (including Honda's Silverwing scooter!) so, barring an individual fault, I wouldn't have suspected them either. I wonder if Triumph get the hubs from the same Italian company that supplies the crappy wheel rims that seem to rust however well you try to look after them.

I'm not surprised you didn't get much help from "On Yer Triumph", I've heard bad things about them before. Before I bought my T100 I went over there and had a look at their used bikes - a lot of them were in a dreadful state and not a good advert for the dealership. I certainly wouldn't buy anything from them.

Paul.

[ This message was edited by: PAAS on 2006-03-24 09:06 ]

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
On 2006-03-24 09:03, Anchorbend wrote:
Anybody have an opinion as to whether or not if a bike has over 4,000 m miles that it is most likely not going to have the brakes as an issue in the future?
Judging by the experience of people who have had this particular problem (front discs warping repeatedly), if you haven't had it by 4000 miles you are unlikely to get it. A lot of these discs have warped within a few hundred miles.

Paul.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Anchorbend

On 2006-03-24 09:03, Anchorbend wrote:
I bookmark all of the issues

how do you bookmark stuff - that sounds like a good idea

there's lots of interesting threads and posts that I'd like to keep for reference

·
Registered
687 Posts
Englisbaz, sorry but I don't think I can help you much on the bookmark. I use Mozilla as a browser which has it on a tool bar. I think if you use Explorer you go to Favorites and at the top create a folder and then add the address to the folder. For example, I have a folder for tech issues, warranty issues, parts sources etc.. I gather these from a variety of sources just not this site and have developed a pretty nice resource list in about 6 months.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Cheers, Adam!

Finally someone's come forth with a logical explanation. To me this makes a whole lot of sense. I mean, what are the odds of getting three or four faulty discs within 4000 miles! I'll pass this information over to my dealer, Jack Lilley, and see what they make of it.

Once again, thanks mate and thanks for taking the time! :chug:

·
Registered
100 Posts
hmmm.. I wonder how do I get my dealer to exhange the front wheel.

Might write to T asking that should my front disk warp again they offer to replace the wheel under an extended warranty as my 2 year warranty is about to expire.

I need to put some miles on my bike to see if I can bring on the problem and then get the wheel replaced.

Actually this is interesting as I've always thought the front end was a bit wobbly. Once I took a shop Bonneville out when mine was in for service and the front seemed quite stable. Very different from mine, I wonder.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Things have moved forward. I wrote a very nice letter to T (UK) and within a few days got a very nice reply. I stated my prob with the disks and requested a replacement front wheel. Mr T obliged :) Will write again to thank T.

So I booked my bike in for the wheel replacement and a 12000 mile servce.

The new wheel has made a big difference! I always thought the front end was a bit wobbley, particularly when I got chance to take out another T100 for comparison. I now have much more confidence in corners, it feels smooth, no shakes. The front brake feels silky smooth. Time will tell if the disk warps but so far the wheel is a huge inprovement, thanks T.

However, my dealer has screwed up my 12000 mile service at a cost of 220 UKpounds :( The mechanics haven't put the undertank heatshield back and the rocker box now leaks oil. They didn't replace the gasket!!?? Basic vehicle mechanics.
I will chase my dealer to see if they can sort, hope so. For reasons why quality of service has dropped see my comments in the Dealer section of this forum. :evil:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Glad to hear that problem has been recognized Adam. To bad the other dealer couldn't find it. I don't think I have a hub problem but I can't get over how fast my pads wear out {5000 miles}. When I bought new pads I couldn't believe how small they were. Only about 3/4's of the disc is being utilized. What a waste. :(

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Bryan,I bought new factory pads [much too expensive compared to EBCs]but Ive not installed them yet at 10,400+ miles.Still have lots of pad left.I believe I ride and brake normally,so I attribute their long life to my having to roll backwards and downhill from my garage before each ride.IMO it "resets" the caliper and "cleans" the built up pad dust.Just my theory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts