Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the rear brake pads on my 2018 speedy are due to be replaced. i've been looking on ebay and amazon, prices range from below $10.00 to nearly $50,00 at a dealer. i want a good deal for my money, but don't want cheap or dangerous crap. anybody had experience with amazon/ebay brake pads and can offer any suggestions?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have had good luck with the EBC pads for around $30 per set. How many miles on your speedmaster? I purchased my 2018 speedmaster in July and have 7,000 miles on her. I just pulled all the brake pads as I do every year and cleaned everything. They look about 25% gone in the front and almost new in the rear. My last bike had linked brakes so you never hit the rear unless you were off the road. I need to learn to ride without linked brakes again due to what my rear pads look like.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've got about 6000 miles on my speedy, i am surprised the pads are worn out so soon and the rear tire needs replacement . a couple of things in the mix... first i live in and do most of my riding in the mountains second at 75 years old i ride a little more cautiously than i would have years ago. ad to those facts i mostly ride with the boss lady on the back. that is a really pricey tire on the back too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had good luck with the EBC pads for around $30 per set. How many miles on your speedmaster? I purchased my 2018 speedmaster in July and have 7,000 miles on her. I just pulled all the brake pads as I do every year and cleaned everything. They look about 25% gone in the front and almost new in the rear. My last bike had linked brakes so you never hit the rear unless you were off the road. I need to learn to ride without linked brakes again due to what my rear pads look like.
JJC1957,were the EBC pads you used the organic pads?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have used both organic and sintered pads. I find that sintered pads wear your rotors out more quickly and make a bit more dust but I like them better for stopping fast. It all depends on how you ride but some people say you should only put on your bike the type of pad that came on it from the factory due to it matches the pads and rotors correctly. I know I wasn't much help but I would do some reading on brake pads and rotors and put in what you are comfortable with. I have 8,500 miles on my bike now and my tires and brakes are in great shape. Maybe because I to am old at 62 and my wife doesn't ride anymore. I did the decat with stock exhaust and she sounds great, not loud at all. No one has even asked if I had changed the exhaust out. I did purchase the British Customs Turn Out Performance Tips but are too loud with the cat out for me. You can do the turn outs much easier than the decat and the sound is about the same. The British Customs Turn Outs are just collecting dust in my basement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the information JJC1957,the reason I was asking is the rear brake with the single piston caliper seems really weak (soft) in stopping power and I am considering using organic pads to see if the braking improves.
The bike is booked in for it's 1st service in 2 days time and I have made note of the rear brake to the dealer,which will be looked at,I am aware the rear is only a single piston caliper and probably shouldn't expect to much from it,but it does seem to be lacking.
I sold a 2017 HD streetglide special and bought the speedmaster and I have to admit the brakes on the harley were excellent with twin 4 piston brembo ABS up front and a single 4 piston brembo ABS on the rear I could pull up really quickly.
At 62 you are only just getting going mate,I'm 64 and have to admit I have slowed to be happy to sit on the speed limit a majority of the time these days.
I have the motone x-pipe sitting in the garage waiting for the 1st service to be done and I will fit it,from the you tube videos I watched of the x pipe fitted to the speedmaster the stock exhaust sounds nice.
Thanks for the information..
Cheerz

·
Registered
29 Posts
i've got about 6000 miles on my speedy, i am surprised the pads are worn out so soon and the rear tire needs replacement . a couple of things in the mix... first i live in and do most of my riding in the mountains second at 75 years old i ride a little more cautiously than i would have years ago. ad to those facts i mostly ride with the boss lady on the back. that is a really pricey tire on the back too.
Hi, I am 64 and have had replace my rear brake pads on the 2018 Speedmaster at about 7000 Km ....in fact I was a little shocked that they wore down so fast as the front are still fine and do not need replacing. I am putting it down to my being a newbie returning to motorcycling after decades of non riding. I was practicing slow speed U turns and figure 8's in parking lots for most of last season, so I think the use of the rear brake to do these daily manoeuvres was the reason the pads wore out so quick. I replaced them with EBC Double - H Sintered brake pads which were a little pricey but I think they are gonna last me longer than one season... we shall see. Short season this year anyway due to lock down.

Ride Safe
LB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts