Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I just took my Tbird in for the 1 yr service... I was told that I only had 20% of my rear pads left and 80% on the front...

I know it depends a lot on how you drive, but what kind of mileage can you expect out of a set of pads?

Now, after I got my bike home from the service... it was making a lot of noise... I thought it was the belt so I took it back... they checked it out (good) and found that my rear disc is 20,000 out of line... they say that is what caused the pad to wear out so quickly...

Whats your opinion?

hagatha

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Some get as little as 6000 on the rears. I'd say i'm getting about 8k and 12k rear and front respectively. Front go further since there are 2 calipers sharing the duty. I put EBC sintered pads in last time and they went about the same as the stock pads which is amazing considering the stock pads on my speedmaster lasted about 1/3 as long as the EBC's.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My first set of rear pads lasted only 6k. My second set are currently at 15k, but are pretty much gone... The fronts have yet to be replaced after 21k. I have replacement pads waiting for both front and rear, but have yet to actually do it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd suggest to both of you to have the dealer put the dial on your rear disc... 20 thousandth's doesn't sound like much but it could cause pads to wear faster and even cause bluing if it is out of line...

hagatha

·
Registered
80 Posts
BTW, it's .020"....

That should be a warranty replacement I would think....

·
Registered
235 Posts
I change out the rear pads with every rear tire, usually about every 8-10k miles and they are usually just about gone by that time, I have almost 29k miles on the bike now and still haven't done the fronts, maybe at 30k interval it may be time to change those, we'll see.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just brought the bike into the shop for another set of rear brake pads. The only thing that bothers me about changing these pads is not the pads, but the physical replacement of them. It seems a bit silly that you need to remove the rear wheel in order to get at them!

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Just brought the bike into the shop for another set of rear brake pads. The only thing that bothers me about changing these pads is not the pads, but the physical replacement of them. It seems a bit silly that you need to remove the rear wheel in order to get at them!
you don't have to ! the last set i put in i didn't remove the wheel. You need to remove the muffler on the left tho to get to it. It's a bit of a pain, but i was surprised i actually completed it within about 15 minutes. The part that seemed like it would be impossible was pushing the pistons in and then getting the pads in right. But that all happened pretty easily even tho you;'re sorta flying blind since it's hard to see what you're doing. Overall it was much easier than i thought it would be, which is the opposite of most other experiences i have working on this monstrosity.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The rear brake pads

you don't have to ! the last set i put in i didn't remove the wheel. You need to remove the muffler on the left tho to get to it. It's a bit of a pain, but i was surprised i actually completed it within about 15 minutes. The part that seemed like it would be impossible was pushing the pistons in and then getting the pads in right. But that all happened pretty easily even tho you;'re sorta flying blind since it's hard to see what you're doing. Overall it was much easier than i thought it would be, which is the opposite of most other experiences i have working on this monstrosity.
You dont even have to remove the muffler, took us Gary and me 15 min to do the
rear brake pads. Just lift the bike up to a suitable hight, jack the rear end take a chair under
your butt and start with the procedure above. Its easy when you sit under the bike.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Has anyone changed to grippier pads? I think the front takes a bit more pressure than necessary.. I can do two finger pulls on my other bikes, but this guy requires 3-4! :)

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Has anyone changed to grippier pads? I think the front takes a bit more pressure than necessary.. I can do two finger pulls on my other bikes, but this guy requires 3-4! :)
It's odd, but mine was amazing when new. I could lock the front with my pinky probably. then after a month or 2 it lost that, and even replacing them with EBC sintered never brought it back. No idea why this is unless the stock pads are better than anything else when new and soon after got to sheet.

papas....i know you can, but for me it was a lot easier w/o the muffler. It's a contortionist's nightmare to begin with, so removing anything in the way that makes it harder is worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts