Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my new to me 07 bonnie's wheels off and noticed the frt pad thickness is twice the size of the rear pads. are they designed this way or did the PO use a whole lot of rear braking ?? got 6,000 miles on it. i have owned bikes in the past that had new pads designed with very little friction material on em, but usually the same frt and rear.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
On the ball

Havent measured the material thickness, but agree with you that they are normally similar. So yes previous person could have been a heavy rear biased braker, or maybe they have just been changed and the front are new. If you got from a dealer they like to cover some legal implications like tyres and brakes.
Is the wear the same symmetrically on the pairs of pads? The calipers slide but if they dont then one side can wear a lot quicker with reduced brake effect.
There seem to be a lot of people that like to use lots of rear brake!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Could it not simply be a combination of heavy rear brake use by the previous owner and softer compound materials compared to the front pads?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Havent measured the material thickness, but agree with you that they are normally similar. So yes previous person could have been a heavy rear biased braker, or maybe they have just been changed and the front are new. If you got from a dealer they like to cover some legal implications like tyres and brakes.
Is the wear the same symmetrically on the pairs of pads? The calipers slide but if they dont then one side can wear a lot quicker with reduced brake effect.
There seem to be a lot of people that like to use lots of rear brake!
Yes, the wear is symmetrical on frt and rear pads. there are some grooves left in the rear pads but not as deep as the frt pads. No,it was NOT from a dealer and even if it was i usually do not trust anyone to do any work on my bikes. don't have a service manual yet..... are frt and rear pads the same part # ? that might give me an answer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aha !! just did some searching and found they have different part #'s. maybe different thickness,maybe just different shape.....
just don't want to buy a new set to find that NEW rear pads have less friction material than frt and the my old set is only slightly worn. been down that road before!!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Why all the fuss? As long as the friction material is not below the service limit of 1.5 mm (0.06 inch) they will be a-okay!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why all the fuss? As long as the friction material is not below the service limit of 1.5 mm (0.06 inch) they will be a-okay!

well......
it's up in the air on the jack.
both wheels are off and new tires won't be in till weds.
got plenty more than 1.5mm so i won't poke a skunk.
thank You

1 - 8 of 8 Posts