Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. So I've upgraded the rotors on my 750 to 310mm and got some 4 pots, but still retaining the original 14mm bore master cylinder, which ain't the best idea makes the lever travel a tad longer. (It still works ok-ish)
The accepted thing would be to put on a master cylinder from a 900/1200 with a 5/8 (16mm) bore.
But...... I was wondering, would a master cylinder off something like a 'Busa with a massive 19mm bore be even more effective.
Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
826 Posts
in short, yes, it will work, and will be more effective, but there is a reason why the biggest bore possible isnt used in every application.
a smaller bore can exert more pressure through the calipers, where as a larger bore will shift more fluid, but with less force.
im not saying that it wont work, but it might not be as comfortable to use as a slightly smaller 16mm bore.

i hope this makes sense!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You may find too large a bore master cylinder will result in very little lever movement and a lack of 'feel'.

Commandos suffer from that, and a common modification is to get the master cylinder sleeved to reduce it's bore and thus increase lever movement.

As it happens I have a 16mm master cylinder which I will no longer require, but it will need a rebuild before use. pm me if you are interested.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies chaps. I think that 16mm is probably the best way to go. Keeps it more or less standard with no worries about compatibility issues.
Dave. Thanks for the offer but I can get one locally buckshee. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts