Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I soon will be ordering some new extended brake lines for my handlebar modification on my '02 Sprint ST. A couple of the motorcycles brake line suppliers both recommended running two lines down from the master cylinder to each of the front calipers. I'm curious to why Triumph designed the bike differently. As you probably know, there is one line from the master cylinder down to the right caliper and then a line from the right caliper to the left caliper. Anyone have any recommendations on which way to run the brake lines?:dunno

·
Registered
57 Posts
I put chriscoote plate and then risers on mine. Needed cables and a line to put new bars on. Found this out after knowing nothing at all. You can easily order a line made. I was in a hurry and went to a local mostly Harley but fix every bike etc shop. They let me take a cable and just match the fit. Universal ends. Any twist didn't matter because you just buy the ends one straight and the other off set and when you put it together you make it like you want and tighten. I was done and on my way. Off the shelf however it's cheaper if you can order it. so if all you want to do is change the lines to a junction it really is super easy. At this point? I am enjoying the bike but just may do the swap and make it pretty just because it is so easy.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
The Italians with the Brembos usually went line from master cylinder to 3 hole junction block, 2 lines from the junction block (one to each caliper). The junction block would mount on the lower section of the triple tree.
That seems much tidier than two lines from a master cylinder or the way Triumph did it with a line going over the front fender.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
The junction block and the loop of line over the fender are both places for air to hang out when you're trying to bleed the system. Two lines won't give any increase in performance over the stock setup unless you give up on getting all the air out of the stock one. Two lines does make it massively easier to bleed; I recommend it.

I think, with the stock parts, you can use the banjo bolt from the left caliper on the MC and vice versa, but I'm not sure on that 'cause I'm running different calipers and MC. Don't forget 7 new crush washers!

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yes, you just switch the throttle side caliper banjo(long enough for 2 hoses) for the one out of the master cyl(single hose end).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts