Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rebuilt the calipers and put new lines on the other week. Not used the bike yet since and noticed a discoloration in on if the hose covers, any guesses as to what it is, hoping not fluid as that would mean the new line is faulty, looks too dark for new fluid tho.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,301 Posts
a mystery indeed my dear Watson.........

I have no idea how, but could oil have gotten on there, is it dry?

One of the resident clever tech people here with a few clues will have a decent idea I'm sure.

Sure looks a bit odd.

Can I ask why you changed from the stock rubber coated braided lines though?

Whatever the case, good luck mate.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's inside the plastic coating so not able to tell if its dry or not, had braided lines on it when i got it but the ends where it joined the calipers were corroding so needed replacement.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Emailed the manufacturer, this was the reply,

Apologies for the discolouration of your brake line.

When the hose is made it is pressure tested using water. It appears in these unusual cases the water has got trapped between the braid and PVC cover.

The braid is stainless steel, but there are many different grades of stainless. Most grades of stainless contain small amounts of Iron and Nickel. The small amount of Iron content can cause your line to discolour, essentially it’s rust that could be wiped off if you were to remove the outer coating. Although, this might be unsightly, it’s perfectly safe.

We will cover this defect with your warranty*and send you a replacement.

24 hours later a replacement arrived, no mention of wanting the old one back.
Now to fit it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts