Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a set of S3 front brake calipers with steel braided lines. I'm trying to pull them apart to fiddle with them, clean up etc, but need to take the lines off, but I'm buggered if I can figure out the size of the head of the banjo bolt! 14mm just a smidgen too small, 15mm way too big. ***?! Is there a special banjo bolt wrench?
Help.
My next question is likely to be - how do I get the pistons out? - but I'll save that one for tomorrow.
Thanks
Cheers
Barry

·
Registered
466 Posts
I believe it is a 9/16 wrench or socket for that matter.

you can push the pistons out with compressed air, or just pull them out of the bores with a non marring pair of pliers (don't scratch the pistons!!)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Use about 10 to 20 lbs of air to blow them out...more, if required. Put a folded rag inside the caliper to keep them from popping out and dinging the caliper or the piston. Apply the air in little bursts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys.
Managed to get one off (r/h), the other is stuck fast. Also stuck is the pin that goes through the caliper that holds the spring thing. I think they'll need power tools to get them out! I need to take them to the dealer anyway, have them pop out the pistons, compressed air being in short supply in the Barry household. I suspect the bike these came off sat for a while unused (crashed?), but it's odd the r/h side came apart fine, the other is well stuck.
Cheers
Barry

·
Registered
466 Posts
barry, try a soak in WD40 or the like, that should free up the pin and caliper.

use anti-sieze upon re-assembly

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
WD, a little heat, and tapping with a soft mallet to break up the corrosion. And some patience.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Patience??? That's in about the same amount of availability as compressed air around me - hah!
Thnaks for the advice, I'll give it a go.

Cheers
Barry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts