Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice for a poor soul before he goes off and changes the front pads for his Tiger?

Pads are thin, too thin for my liking so I have a set already on hand - both rotors. Guy at the shop said to reuse the clip - although I'm worried that it might snap.

Incidentally - the replacement pads are thin as well, in fact they're so thin I'm wondering if my pad even need to be replaced at all? They weren't expensive, so if I don't have to swap them out - no loss.

As always, if anyone is interested I can post up a pictorial to point out the highlights (or lowlights) of the job.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Very Easy Job, I would also have to hand a tin of spray brake cleaner for the caliper pistons and housing and some copper slip grease,

To Remove the Pads--

1) Remove the small ‘R’ clip from the inner end of the brake pad retaining pin
I use long nose piles for this, they just pull out,

2) Then unscrew the long brake retaining pins with the correct size allen key,

Once the retaining pin is removed the anti rattle spring will be free to remove,
They usually drop out once the pins are removed,

3) With the brake pads still in situ, ease the pads apart to allow withdrawal of the pads and to also allow the new pads with more friction lining to slide between the caliper pistons and brake discs

To Fit the New Pads--

1) Clean the dust out of the caliper with brake cleaner, Try protecting your brake discs and road wheel with some kind of plastic sheets,
Cleaning brake calipers can be messy, You will need to ensure that your brake discs are not contaminated,

2) Fit the new pads in the calliper,

3) Lightly lubricate the pad retaining pins with high temperature grease, I use Copper slip,

4) Fit the anti rattle spring over the pads and push retaining pin through the hole on top of the brake pads and to slide across the top of the anti rattle spring ,

5) Tighten the retaining pins to 17Nm and secure with the ‘R’ clip,

6) !!!!Most Importantly !!!!, Pump the brake lever when finished to correctly position caliper pistons before riding off,

Hope this helps

Andy

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we'll see. This weekend will be a maintenance time - gotta adjust the chain slack, replace the headlight, change the oil, and replace the front brakes

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to post a little thing on how to do it - but honestly it doesn't need one. changing the pads was so simple it took less than 10 minutes for both rotors. Bing, bang, boom - done. My fears that they weren't used up yet were unfounded, those pads were wafer thin. See the grooves - heck I was seeing the backer plate they were so thin.

Wasn't expecting them to wear out in less than 20K miles, will have to be more dilligent checking them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts