Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 06 Daytona 955 to the track in the weekend.
After the third session my brakes were poor, lever had pulled close to the bar, and the discs were blue, or had lots of blue spots all round.
Yeah I know its a sign of heat and I was braking hard but not on every corner, mainly the back straight.

The pads are EBC HH which I took out of my Speed Triple to put in the Tona. They had done one trackday in the Speedy and were fine all day, no probs at all.
But in the Tona, as said fell off big time after the third session.

Obviously heat and hard application, but am wondering, could it be because of these reasons.

-Was a lot faster down the straight due to being faster than Speedy and braked harder to slow.
-Speedy has 30000kms on and discs are well run in, whilst Tona has only 2000kms and hardly any brake use as it was all done out country roads and maybe discs are still soft.
-The hard braking boiled the fluid, which was fresh.
-Pads are cooked, despite being new.

Dunno, any advice and experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,801 Posts
Did you put in new brake fluid when you swapped pads? If not, it might be worth trying a fluid change and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
boiled brake fluid

If the brake fluid is old or been exposed to extreme braking it will literally boil.Hi temperatures in the brake fluid system will create vapours which are compressible therefore leading to very poor brake application and possibly complete loss of brakes.Water dropplets in the fluid will cause bad brake feel as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Apart from the above comments, are your brakes dragging slightly? How does the wheel spin when off the ground? Go for a ride with minimal front brake. Stop and feel each disk. One side warmer than the other? Is the blued disc same on each side?

Given low mileage though, its probably not a case of old/dirty seals not allowing the pistons to release off the pads.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apart from the above comments, are your brakes dragging slightly? How does the wheel spin when off the ground? Go for a ride with minimal front brake. Stop and feel each disk. One side warmer than the other? Is the blued disc same on each side?

Given low mileage though, its probably not a case of old/dirty seals not allowing the pistons to release off the pads.
Wheel spins ok, just had it off and put some sticky rubber on.
Discs are evenly blued, or were, as the last session I took it easier and it was'nt as bad.
I'm starting to think I prob cooked the fluid.
Will put some new DOT5 in this week and have a good look over it.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Tricati, The '02 used new EBC HH pads and new Valvolene fully synthetic brake fluid on it's last trackday. No problems, no discolorations, but they were broken in with some street time.

I think the problem is that used pads were used on another set of used rotors. If the surfaces were sanded flat prior to installing on the '06, maybe not. The rotors turning blue also concerns me as they may've become fragile and possibly prone to fracturing.

Brad

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tricati, The '02 used new EBC HH pads and new Valvolene fully synthetic brake fluid on it's last trackday. No problems, no discolorations, but they were broken in with some street time.

I think the problem is that used pads were used on another set of used rotors. If the surfaces were sanded flat prior to installing on the '06, maybe not. The rotors turning blue also concerns me as they may've become fragile and possibly prone to fracturing.

Brad
I forgot to say that I did about 250kms on a road ride the weekend before the trackday with the EBCs in the Tona so they got a wee bit of road time, but as said had been used once on a TD with the Speedy.
Might be doing a TD this Sat and will inspect all components tonite and flush the system and add new DOT5 fluid and see what happens.
As also said on my last session at the TD the discs did'nt go blue, but I think I conscousily did'nt brake as hard.

Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Progress on the brake issue.

Did a Trackday on Saturday.

The only thing I did mid week was flush the brake fluid and replace with Bel Ray DOT5 synthetic fluid.
The rotors were a bit blue after the first session but pretty well ok for the other 5.

No brake fade, brakes all good, all day, and I probably braked harder this time.

So I put the original problem down to boiled fluid, DOT4, and maybe age of it despite being fresh, but sitting on my shelf closed for a year.
Plus new virginal rotors with hardly any kms on them and not being 'worn in' as such.

·
Registered
133 Posts
be careful DOT 5 and DOT 4 are NOT compatible. DOT 5 is silicon based and will ruin your seals.

Dot 5.1 is compatible with DOT 4.

If you have put dot 5.0 in your master cylinder I would purge it and refill with Dot 4.0

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
be careful DOT 5 and DOT 4 are NOT compatible. DOT 5 is silicon based and will ruin your seals.

Dot 5.1 is compatible with DOT 4.

If you have put dot 5.0 in your master cylinder I would purge it and refill with Dot 4.0
There is no DOT4 in the system, its all been purged.
I brought the fluid from a bike shop too, surely they would'nt sell it if it was'nt compatible?
I will check if its DOT5 or 5.1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts