Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The are brake discs for sale with a hard chrome finish or plain cast iron. Is one better than the other?.

·
6,517 Posts
Hi Thomas,

With the exception of ally calipers, new brake parts available for our old heaps aren't made by any remaining part of Automotive Products or "Lockheed", they're commissioned by one or other of the wholesalers from their pet suppliers so are subject to the vagaries of different QC standards. :(

When AP Lockheed was still around and supplying parts to Meriden, they'd stopped hard-chroming discs several years before. Ime, braking with original fully-hard-chromed discs was fine even in the wet. I don't have any experience with the new chromed discs; however, given previously-reported problems with other pattern "Lockheed" brake parts, I'm just naturally suspicious and not sure I'd pay for a process like hard chroming that must be done well ...

If you do go for new discs, check if they're original 10" OD or match AP Lockheed's later (1980-on?) 250 mm. OD; risking stating the obvious, pads with the braking material in different positions relative to the mounting holes will be required. :)

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just to add another variable, I used to track cars and found very high disc wear until I discovered cryo treated discs. Didn't believe it, but on advice tried it! Been told that the process makes the rotors 3-4 times harder, adding significantly to their life. Sure enough, my cryo rotors were the last set of rotors I purchased.

No idea if available for bikes, but perhaps one of our knowledgeable contributors can chime in? Best source for cars was TireRack in the USA. Regrettably I don't believe EBC or Brembo offers this option.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never had a disc on a classic bike wear out as in getting too thin due to brakeing use. I've only had warped discs, but I have seen discs with grooves in them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts