Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just fitted new seals in the caliper, now how do get the pistons past the dust seal.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Pete,

Providing you have fitted the piston seals in the lower grooves and the dust seals in the upper grooves, you should push the pistons into their bores by using both thumbs and pressing down. This way you can ensure that they go in square to the bores. The seals are best lubricated before you do this. Sometimes it will need good firm pressure to see them home!

It is important that you replace the pistons in their original bores ok?

Hope this helps?
Jim

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanx for that but, just done the near side and the had a bad build up of oxidised ally in the dust seal seats/grooves, could be I didnt clean the off side out enough and its causing the seal not to sit right.

Im thinking of putting some copperslip in the groove to stop any future crud building up and just coat the dust seal with fluid for putting the pistons in - comments??

Also the pistons are new and appear to be the same diameter, unlike the Sprint and Tripple.

Pete
Edit - Just to add its chuffin freezin in the shed

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Im thinking of putting some copperslip in the groove to stop any future crud building up and just coat the dust seal with fluid for putting the pistons in - comments??

No!!!! - copaslip is petroleum based and will ruin the seals and contaminate the fluid. The proper stuff is rubber grease - Castrol used to do it but the tube I have is years old. There's some here.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Agreed, don't use copaslip :eek:

The only lubricant to use on brake parts is brake fluid. Anyhing else may contribute to perishing the seals.

It's a case of plenty of brake fluid on the seals and pistons and slip the piston over the seals. Everything has to be spotlessly clean and corrosion free.

Good luck ! :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, pistons are now in:) I used brake fluid for the seals and rubber grease to seat the dust seals, hopefully it prevent any more oxidising.

Dont know if it was due to the cold but they were a pig to put in and I had to remove a slither of the dust seals that got caught attempting to put the pistons in, should be ok though.

To push the pistons home I needed a tee bar with a snug fitting socket attached that fitted inside the piston, then a good push saw them slide in, couldnt have done it with thumbs.

Tomorrow will rebuild and fill / bleed the brakes.

Thanx for the replies guys

Pete

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Pete,

Well done, job done :)

I remember doing mine, what a pain in the arse !!

I must admit I've never had much luck with Triumph brakes. For some reason they always seem to bind a little. Added to that corrosion on the pistons, etc, not a job I like doing.

Then just to cap it all, trying to bleed them - Argh :Angry_98OLVV:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re-build bits

Got mine from Triumph-online, ss pistons and seals £35 a side.
Greame,
Started the bleeding process last night:( and bled a lot more fluid through than I drained out, eventually gave up due to being too cold.
Play has been postponed today due to an MOT failure on the wifes car.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Buell Blast 2001-2005 uses the same caliper as 03 Tiger. I got the seals and piston set from the local Harley dealer for $13 a set.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Re visited the brakes on Thursday and theY bled through in 5 mins, all the air seemed to have collected in the off side pipe and only had to top up the reservoir twice.
Next stop MOT:( they`re bound to find something to fail it on:rolleyes:

Edit - AVM, tried that route with my local Tractor dealer, not as cheap over here as the US though.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes

Tigs passed her MOT today:) but got a note to say the steering was tight, even tighter than last year, thought it might have eased off with miles but no:( the bearings were changed by a main dealer 7.5k ago so whats the score?
Also a mention that the rear disc was warped/out of true, the machine said so:confused:
Still, can ride for another year legally now:)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Pete,

Good to see Tig's through it's MOT.

There's been a few posts on here about tight steering bearings, but I must admit it's something I don't mess around with.

As for the brake disc, a common problem. I had my front ones changed uynder warranty, even though I couldn't tell they were warped. I just thought I'd ask :). That proves to me that Triumph know there is an issue with them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
G Clamp

Had the same trouble fitting the pistons back past the dust seal but found a three inch G clamp gave the leaverage to keep the pistons square to the bore and enough even pressure to fit them smoothly - hopes this helps :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts