Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No spark, followed the troubleshooting guide, tested wiring, Coils, battery, plugs, and ground, all OK. When I turn key on no spark. Pulled the YB and WB wires coming out of the box, touched them together still no spark, checked power to box good, checked coming out of box good. If box was bad would I still get power coming out? Am I missing something here or did my box die.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I ran a Boyer on a TR7 and something went wrong in the box. If I hit it with something like the handle of a screwdriver it would fireup and run. I woundup replacing it and carried it as a spare, just in case.

Joe

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
No spark, followed the troubleshooting guide, tested wiring, Coils, battery, plugs, and ground, all OK. When I turn key on no spark. Pulled the YB and WB wires coming out of the box, touched them together still no spark, checked power to box good, checked coming out of box good. If box was bad would I still get power coming out? Am I missing something here or did my box die.
If you feel that you've been thorough in your checks, then it is quite possible to be the black box. Though a solid state device, I have seen many posts here and there where this brand of EI gave black box problems. RR

·
Premium Member
10,031 Posts
having just looked into the whole ignition choice thing, Pazon offfer a 7 1/2 year warranty.

EI is hard to diagnose as substitution is normally the way to trace faults and a bi*ch if you don't have a wiling mate to donate his unit for tests.

·
Registered
180 Posts

*This is for comparative reasons.*
I am sure you did this, but from my experience with the LUCAS EI. I troubleshot the system and found that i had 12V coming into the box, but only 8V coming out. Make sure your key is on when checking volts on your system. According to the specs it was a 12V system that ran coils in series. Everything was set up right and i was getting the right voltage everywhere else. So if you want to be 100% certain it is your box, then i suggest you see what kind of volts that are going to the box and what kind are coming out. IMHO, this is the best way to check for faults in your system.

Hope this helps!
Good Luck,

Joe

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I did not get any spark when touching the YB and WB wires and returned the unit to Boyer. They verified that the unit was defective and sent me a new one under warranty. Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For those who gave me the help and encouragement to find the Damn problem THANKS. Well it turned out to be a weak coil, even though I got a reading it was intermittent when under a load, don't ask how I found it. Changed out to my old Lucas coils and got all kinds of spark when turning ignition on and off and kicking it over. Waiting on a new set of petcocks then I will be in the wind.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
For those who gave me the help and encouragement to find the Damn problem THANKS. Well it turned out to be a weak coil, even though I got a reading it was intermittent when under a load, don't ask how I found it. Changed out to my old Lucas coils and got all kinds of spark when turning ignition on and off and kicking it over. Waiting on a new set of petcocks then I will be in the wind.
Well done. These old tarts can play tricks on ya!! RR

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Well done on finding the problem, these EIs can be a real bit*h to diagnose. I have a boyer fitted to my 71 and so far it's been good, well now I've said that I'll go home and find my bike won't start! :)

Webby

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Petcocks arrived yesterday, fitted them to bike, third kick it started. Needs some adjustments but very glad to hear that engine fire, brings back so many great memories. Again thanks to all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts