Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. i give up. how do i get the timing advance off of my 1976 t140 so i can install an electronic ignition module? i got one for (early) christmas present and wanted to install the unit. any tips, pictures, information would be MUCH appreciated.

john:confused:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just screw the advance unit bolt back in but not all the way. Hit the head of the bolt squarely with a hammer (easy does it). It should pop loose.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Its a taper fit with an internal thread. Your supposed to use a slide hammer. I think its a 5/16 NF thread [correct me if I'm wrong somebody]. If you can get a long bolt with that thread and then use a piece of steel with a hole thru it as a hammer you can make your own slide up.

i tapped a thread onto some rod and used a chunk of square that I had lying around, drilled a 3/8 hole through it, welded a but stop on the other end and then had a slide hammer.

·
Super Moderator
12,859 Posts
I would not do as snakepit suggested; that COULD damage the threads on the end of the cam, or worse, crack the cam nose.

REMOVE that screw, and insert the proper LARGER bolt into the advance unit; THEN tap the thing. You will be tapping on the ADVANCER, NOT the cam. It will pop right off.

Cracking the cam nose can be VERY expensive.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i used a home made tool. body hammer with a bolt welded to it. it pulls it out proper.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I unscrewed the bolt ,inserted a long handled #2 phillips head screw driver in the hole and whacked the handle sideways with my hand and the unit popped off.A friend told me to do this and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Triumph did make one of their special tools for this. It looked like a bolt with no threads for the first inch or two. As it threads into the advance unit, the nose of the 'bolt' presses against the end of the cam pushing the advance unit out. I usually put a large washer on a longer bolt that fits the advance unit's threads, screw it in a few turns and lightly tap outward on the washer with a rubber mallet.

The camshaft is supposed to have a 'key' on the end of it to fit in that notch in the end of the advancer to get timing roughed in. Unfortunately, they are more often than not broken off. Since I've owned mine, it has never had the key. You might consider scribing to mark where your advancer is located just in case. You can usually see evidence of where that tang would have originally been and can use that as an approximate starting point. Timing my bike took installation of the advance unit / points plate 5 or 6 times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts