Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2007 America in Phantom Black. The T100 Bonny will just have to take a second seat for a bit, but not forever. I think it was a mistake because I don't know which one to ride. Damn those Triumphs!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I think it was a mistake because I don't know which one to ride. Damn those Triumphs!
I know the feeling. Had the Bonneville first. Then got an America. Had both for about a year. Although I loved the Bonneville the America won out. Just couldn't afford to keep both. Good luck with them and enjoy the "challenge" of deciding which to ride :D

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
You got 2 similar bikes, you needed to get 2 vastly different ones. I've got my Bonnie and a Rocket 3 Touring, so usually no doubt on what bike to take where and as long as it's not summer, they both get plenty of use.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not do a lot of long distance riding and the Bonny seems to feel better for me. Maybe because I am more used to it. I will try another one in the future but which one, I do not know. Help me pick!!!!!!!

·
Banned
390 Posts
Two far different bikes is THE way to go. I got the america and a tiger.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not feel these 2 bikes are similar at all. They both ride so different in seating, handling, HP, looks, frame, suspension etc. The only part the same is 865 cc's of engine with about 10 HP difference. Do you agree? Please tell me something I don't know or am missing here.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I agree with you browning. While they do share several engine parts & accessories they are different motorcycles. Power delivery, seating position and "feel" separate them.

·
Banned
390 Posts
Different is subjective I suppose. I've ridden both in the same day and the fact the power felt the same to me negated any difference in frame. Handling was slightly better then my america comfort was somewhat less then the america. The biggest difference was looks,if they were sisters the std bonny would have been the brown hair girl with braces and green dress to the americas drop dead gorgeous auberned haired beach volleyball playing goddess in tank top and torn jeans.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have had my Speedmaster since 06 and 6 months ago I bought a 01 Sprint RS when my wife told me I had to get another vehicle. She said as the Speedmaster had over 50K miles she wanted to make sure I wasn't stuck with no transportation while she was up north with her (not ours) truck. I sold my car about 9 months after I bought the Speedmaster and did not want another car or truck, she knew this so told me I had to buy either a new bike or get a second one. So being the good husband I am I got the RS. The funny thing is that in the six years I have had the Speedmaster, the only time she failed to start was the morning after I brought home the RS, loose coil wire. I really like both bikes, but my Speedmaster does most of the work including a trip to and from my places in NY and Florida. They really look good in our carport, the wife's truck has to sit outside.

News, Blogs & Events
I am looking for:

in:
News, Blogs & Events Web

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
225 Posts
I prefer the speedmaster , but ya can build something like this with America too !

Ya just will be short of stopping power with the America ! :)

·
Banned
390 Posts
Of course you do. Look what your riding! Ole plain jane bonny.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Cruisers are a dime a dozen. The Bonneville is the bike with cachet that stands out from the cruiser crowd.

That being said, I also have a Honda NT700V (aka Deauville). I like it, but mostly in limited circumstances. Long rides, more that 50 miles at a time, doing 60 mph on country roads. It's a great bike for that application. So recently, I've considered letting it go in favor of something that says TRIUMPH on the side. The new Street Triple looks pretty good, but I'm not sure that's the bike for a 60 year old. So the other considerations are the America and Sprint GT. I like the America because it's ergonomically suited for my wife to ride as well. With the a windshield, sissy bar, and saddle bags it could become the touring alternative to the NT. The Sprint is an obvious touring alternative.

Are the Bonneville and America too similar to have in the same garage?

·
Banned
390 Posts
Cruisers are a dime a dozen. The Bonneville is the bike with cachet that stands out from the cruiser crowd.

That being said, I also have a Honda NT700V (aka Deauville). I like it, but mostly in limited circumstances. Long rides, more that 50 miles at a time, doing 60 mph on country roads. It's a great bike for that application. So recently, I've considered letting it go in favor of something that says TRIUMPH on the side. The new Street Triple looks pretty good, but I'm not sure that's the bike for a 60 year old. So the other considerations are the America and Sprint GT. I like the America because it's ergonomically suited for my wife to ride as well. With the a windshield, sissy bar, and saddle bags it could become the touring alternative to the NT. The Sprint is an obvious touring alternative.

Are the Bonneville and America too similar to have in the same garage?
Imo,yes they are. As far as power and handling they are roughly the same bike. Neither one are comfortable enough for me to use as a tourer,that's why I have the tiger.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I can be with a group of cruisers and people always gravitate toward me speedy !

And especially if there are lots of Harleys around! LOL :)

·
Banned
390 Posts
No doubt about it,harly and jap wannabe harlys are a dime a dozen. Put a speedy or america among them and there is nothing common at all about the triumphs. No insult meant but I don't consider such small bikes as the speedy and ba a true cruiser anyway, sportcruiser more like!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Do you really think a T100 is a girl bike? I mean the America is now the boyfriend? What goes? Not sure if I think of any of my bikes as girls that's for sure...

What do others think? Or am I missing something?

·
Banned
390 Posts
If I thought of any of my bikes in a masculine sense I wouldn't be riding it! The america could be the bonnys girlfriend,that's socially acceptable isn't it!?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts