Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to thank McQueen for getting me started on this. I haven't actually ridden it yet because it's winter here, but I put the deposit down and inked the deal and I can pick it up whenever I can figure out how to.

But this '79 Special is handsome. The white in the photos is NOT the color. The color is Pearlescent White, and it is stunning. It has a Pearl/Rose cast in the sunlight that is not picked up by the camera. Against the black features of the bike, it's very butch. I don't know why he didn't do the stock Special paint, but it looks great and it's going to be staying the way it is.

It is a ONE OWNER! Oh My God. This guy bought it new and just rides it around the block a few times each year to keep the juices flowing. No rust anywhere. He had the carbs re-built, but I think there's some gum in them now. Whether I have to boil them out or just use carb cleaner, I'n not sure.

The exhaust is a 2 into 1, but it's a replacement. Not the original. If anyone recognizes the exhaust and can tell me what it is, please.

There's a sissy seat rack and highway bars that are going to be coming off. Tires are unused, but I don't know how old. No visable rot. Chain is new, no rust on sprocket. Cylinder fins have no rust.
I have to go now. I'm going to confession, becaue I stole this thing from him. He was SO done with motorcycles, many years ago.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
yup you did :)

love the white . loose the highway pegs too .

would look better with spokes , but that's just my opinion .

cheers and welcome , Woody

·
Registered
276 Posts
My word, that is a thing of beauty. I love the white. Never had a chance on one that was left side shift (moderns not counting). What a find. I am somewhat envious myself.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Congrats. Jamo!!! I just sold my Hinckley and picked up this white one myself. :)

66' T-120R - 2 owner bike. Needs a little but she's a daily rider as is.

Again, congrats on scoring the T-140D!!! She's a beauty!

James

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
JAX - That'un is a beauty. I do like the flat seat. And I'm going to be slapping a pair of knee pads on my tank, even if it isn't quite correct.

I thought they'd be interesting to see back to back, in the same view, even if they're going opposite directions:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Jamo,

I'm pretty sure that you can put a circa 1975 T-140 seat on your T-140D if you prefer a flat seat.

GPZ- When I rebuild the front forks, gaiters will be added.

Here you go Jamo:

Funny thing- Mine had those highway bars on it when I picked it up. They were the 1st thing to come off. :)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Jamo,

I'm pretty sure that you can put a circa 1975 T-140 seat on your T-140D if you prefer a flat seat.
Yup. That's what I out on mine. Bolts right up. With one exception: you need to drill a hole in the pan to accommodate the "helmet holder" pin. Or just cut the pin off.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup. That's what I out on mine. Bolts right up. With one exception: you need to drill a hole in the pan to accommodate the "helmet holder" pin. Or just cut the pin off.

It's a T-140S. I presume it's the same.

What I need is a seat pan that I can send off to Sergant for nicer custom seat. I don't want to destroy mine, though.

Where do you look for classic tank knee pads? I presume you can use new ones from recent models, in a pinch.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, I'm scarred to death that for some reason my deal is going to fall through. Nop reason why it should, I jhust have this daymare that he's going to sell it to someone else before I get over there with the rest of the cash.

I'm sure he won't, but it makes me nervous.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts