Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Boy, Did I get a Beauty!

5K views 52 replies 12 participants last post by  htown16 
#1 ·
I have to thank McQueen for getting me started on this. I haven't actually ridden it yet because it's winter here, but I put the deposit down and inked the deal and I can pick it up whenever I can figure out how to.

But this '79 Special is handsome. The white in the photos is NOT the color. The color is Pearlescent White, and it is stunning. It has a Pearl/Rose cast in the sunlight that is not picked up by the camera. Against the black features of the bike, it's very butch. I don't know why he didn't do the stock Special paint, but it looks great and it's going to be staying the way it is.

It is a ONE OWNER! Oh My God. This guy bought it new and just rides it around the block a few times each year to keep the juices flowing. No rust anywhere. He had the carbs re-built, but I think there's some gum in them now. Whether I have to boil them out or just use carb cleaner, I'n not sure.

The exhaust is a 2 into 1, but it's a replacement. Not the original. If anyone recognizes the exhaust and can tell me what it is, please.

There's a sissy seat rack and highway bars that are going to be coming off. Tires are unused, but I don't know how old. No visable rot. Chain is new, no rust on sprocket. Cylinder fins have no rust.
I have to go now. I'm going to confession, becaue I stole this thing from him. He was SO done with motorcycles, many years ago.

See less See more
#5 ·
My word, that is a thing of beauty. I love the white. Never had a chance on one that was left side shift (moderns not counting). What a find. I am somewhat envious myself.

#12 · (Edited)
JAX - That'un is a beauty. I do like the flat seat. And I'm going to be slapping a pair of knee pads on my tank, even if it isn't quite correct.

I thought they'd be interesting to see back to back, in the same view, even if they're going opposite directions:

#15 ·
Jamo,

I'm pretty sure that you can put a circa 1975 T-140 seat on your T-140D if you prefer a flat seat.
Yup. That's what I out on mine. Bolts right up. With one exception: you need to drill a hole in the pan to accommodate the "helmet holder" pin. Or just cut the pin off.

#19 ·
Man, I'm scarred to death that for some reason my deal is going to fall through. Nop reason why it should, I jhust have this daymare that he's going to sell it to someone else before I get over there with the rest of the cash.

I'm sure he won't, but it makes me nervous.

#23 ·
And unless you can weld (or know someone that does) you'll need the accompanying swingarm. The brake caliper mounts form underneath and there's a small triangular tab to which the torsion arm (or whatever it's called) mounts. On your D, the caliper mounts above the rotor.

I got a good used swingarm from the local shop for less than $40. Also, try to get a complete wheelset with the rear brake...specifically, you want the mounting plate as it also acts as a spacer.

OR you can try to find some spacers and continue to use the D brake. I can't remember why I didn't so this. Seems like there was a reason I went with a new swingarm. But you know, the memory is the second thing to go...

#31 ·
Jamo , back the bus up a stop . this is an internet forum where every "Tom , Dick and Woody " has an opinion .

ya know what i'd do if i'd just bought that bike ? i'd be going out to my garage in the middle of the night to admire it . i'd be watching out my window to see if the streets were clear and putting on my cold weather gear when they were just to get a taste of what it's going to be like when the weather , "spring " breaks .

stop worrying what a bunch of internet quarterbacks say . yea i like spokes , but if I just bought it , that would be the last thing on my mind :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.