Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot that you shouldn't have the carbs completely horizontal when measuring, so when I set them to 17.5 it was more like 21.5 haha. Bike was running like crap! Is that making the bike more lean or rich? I'm going to take then apart and do it all over again after a beer break. I definitely think the float height was the cause of the cooler #1 cylinder though. Now the temps have changed significantly. I'll post more info later

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
It would lower the level in the float bowl, so weaken things.

Incidentally, I came across a factory service data sheet recently that specifically mentions the Keihins. But the height is given as 1.5mm above the gasket face, by the upright tube method. If you can be arsed you could try a cross check on this with the 17.5mm by the 'dry' method?

Anyhow, sometimes a negative result is just as informative as a 'right' result, as in this case, we now know what effect a 4mm drop in level does :) (Maybe add a bit more detail for us tho'?)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Got it adjusted correctly, pretty surprised in the difference it makes! I had no idea the float height played a major role like that. Feels like the bike has a bit more pep to it now ;). I'll add another video clip soon. I also found out that the middle carb's float needle plunger was stuck. I freed it up and now all floats are right at 17mm, and all feel the same (free play).

Here's the clip. Throttle response is great. The thing is really starting to scoot! Not a lot of pop on decel too.

http://youtu.be/EiTk63p-jZ4

1 - 3 of 3 Posts