Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 10 years on my '98 T-bird, and a brief (and VERY costly!) few months on a 2008 Harley Crossbones, I find myself with a 2008 T100.
Color is Claret/Silver.
I'm in the process of melting down my plastic with orders to BC and NB, as is the apparent rite of initiation.
First things are the AI dump kit, center stand, Triumph backrest (OUCH!) and small luggage rack to attach to it, a Haynes manual, Q/R screws for the seat and side cases, a small windshield, and several other dozen small (but NOT free!) goodies.
After a bit of time on the bike I plan on a fork brace, rubber gaitors, Progressive fork springs and shocks.
One unanticipated side effect from spending June through early November on the Harley: Getting back on the Triumph led me to comment to Carol after the ride home from the dealer in response to the "how do you like it?" query: "Well, now I have a motorcycle that sounds like a lawn mower, and feels like a bicycle!" :)
Never thought I'd miss the muted rumble of the stock exhaust on the Softtail, as I am NOT in the "Loud pipes save lives" camp at ALL, being a former owner of 7 BMW twins in a row before the T-Bird.
And, the 250-or so less pounds of the T100 compared to the Crossbones is another adjustment to make, albeit a GOOD thing, ultimately.
I chose to go with the carb'ed bike rather than putting out the extra for the '09 FI version to further insulate myself from possible costly trips to the dealership for service work I can't perform myself.
My experience with the T-Bird's 3 carbs got me VERY familiar with the Keihin (sp?) internals before discovering that my REAL problem was those darned Gil coils! :mad: (Replaced them with Nologys)
I was glad to see that Triumph addressed some of the areas on the bike that had been a corrosion problem on the T-Bird by applying some sort of black coating to the lower fork legs and instrument housings. I'm waxing the living daylights out the rest of the bike (Protect-All, actually), and keep it in a Bike Barn with their little "damp chaser" 50 watt heater/fan thingie, so I'm hopeful for it's long term good looks.
Anyway, here I am on board with "Youse guys" again. I'll be cruising the forums for tips and tweaks (first concern: getting the suspension to better handle our "Land of perpetual construction zones" road surfaces), and will report back my impressions of the various mods.
On the performance side, I'm weighing going with a K&N filter in the standard airbox versus putting out even MORE $$$ for the airbox eliminator kit. Comments welcome!
Sorry if the "lawnmower and bicycle" comments ruffled any feathers of the faithful...no harm intended!
Celebrating (?) 61 years on this planet today!
Bob Cowgill
Mims, Florida

·
30,168 Posts
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you're well into it. There's a ton of good info around, cruise, join in and ask questions.

To get going - putting the K and N filter in the stock airbox is OK - I did that - but you don't get much extra airflow from it. Mainly because the stock airbox restricts things so much. The K and N is a good airfilter though.

Cheers and welcome - nice choice of bike!

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Welcome aboard, and happy birthday:bday:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Happy birthday. Sounds like you've figured out how to make them enjoyable.

Whats the sad tale on your Harley? Crossbones is a great looking model. I bet its a huge difference moving from the Harley to the T100. I completely understand feeling like your on a bicycle after having all that metal between your legs. Hard to believe a twin can be so smooth isn't it?

The first time I heard someone start a Thruxton I almost fell over laughing. Sewing machine came to mind. Definitely did not send off that bad boy image I was expecting.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Welcome back! Yes, please let us know how the Bonne compares to the T-Bird.

(I personally couldn't care less about the HD. Thank God you came to your senses. But no Harley bashing, please.:D)

·
Registered
191 Posts
"Feels like a bicycle" is not good?!!?!?

I use that expression all the time, to describe my Commando, and believe me, I mean it as the ultimate handling compliment. And having snuck a ride on the wife's Bonnie the other day, the same would apply, ditto/ditto.

I do have a HD, btw, an 06 Deuce, which actually handles quite well ( I won't even add, "for a Harley"), but it's not even comparable to a small vertical twin's handling, izzit?

Best - B

·
Registered
191 Posts
PS, my suggestions for mods on the Bonnie:

AI removed, K&N pods replace the box, Predator exhausts, 140 mains, stock idle jets adjusted to suit, gaiters, corbin smuggler seat painted to match, CRG or other levers, Raybrig 55/60 H4 bulb, Ikon shocks, Progressive fork springs, Redline 20W/50 motorcycle oil, and RIDE!

Shouldn't these bikes come from the factory with a bit more of these things? Ah hell, mods are fun....

Good luck and safe riding.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good luck with the bike Bob.

I debated buying a Harley (Though I was looking at the Sportster models) before getting my Thruxton. I'm now on a Bonneville America (EFId version) and am really enjoying it.

I have to say though that my wife's 883 sounds better (Both bikes are on stock pipes).

There appears to be lots of useful info on here so I'm sure you'll stay amused for hours on end!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts