Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ... I've had my eye on this new HJC that hit the market a couple of months ago (was suppose to be released last year) and I finally couldn't stands it any longer ... I gots me one.

It's the new AC12 Carbon (carbon fiber). SUPER lightweight. You don't even notice you're wearing a helmet - seriously - it's that light. Very good field of vison too. Much better than my ICON. Only shortcoming I've notice so far is wind noise, but I've started wearing ear plugs lately ...

I'm not into wearing an open face or nutcup style helmet. I'm too pretty and single to be risking face rash. :) Anyway - here's a promo pic of it. If you get a chance - try one on.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Interesting, is that a vent opening on the jaw line?
Looks like my Shoei

Triang, I believe he is referring to "nutcup" at a atheltic support., "family jewel protector", etc. LOL

Not sure what you may call them in the UK

·
Registered
106 Posts
On 2006-09-29 04:13, RT wrote:
Interesting, is that a vent opening on the jaw line?
Looks like my Shoei

Triang, I believe he is referring to "nutcup" at a atheltic support., "family jewel protector", etc. LOL

Not sure what you may call them in the UK
Tee hee :lollol:

We call them a 'box'

as in Cricket Box

Or a Jockstrap..... don't ask

S

·
0 Posts
I bought the same lid last week, very nice. It looks extra slick with the dark smoke visor.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Tres Bon! Yes, I got one too and love it-light and fits very well,also got a gold shield
which is realy cool. NOTE: The shield locks down in the closed position for safety's sake.

HJC may be the best or one of the best makers of helmets in the world-I and my sons have 4 of them -love the Symax (?)tilt up street helmet a lot also. Good stuff. Priced right too. Lots of shield color options like blue and silver , etc............ good choice IMHO

[ This message was edited by: HiVel on 2006-09-29 10:08 ]

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On 2006-09-29 16:44, MattTriumphs wrote:
Bonafide -

I heard it's loud, is it too loud without ear plugs? Is the HJC logo in front a sticker or painted on? Thanks.
Well - I haven't worn it while riding the Triumph yet. I was on my ZX6R and I have a tendency to ride kinda fast on it. I only noticed the wind noice once I was heading back home from dinner. But, once I noticed - it was distracting. Not TOO loud - but very distracting. I have been wearing plugs here very recently ... and it does help with the ringing I was getting from the wind jammin.

Unforturnately - the HJC logo is UNDERNEATH the clear. Can't be removed. Sticks out like a bullseye.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you impact something hard enough to shatter a carbon fiber reinforced helmet, you won't have to worry about shards; you'll just be dead.

ANY helmet can be broken into pieces if hit hard enough. Glass reinforced helmets will exhibit the same kind of fibrous shards as carbon fiber. After all, rough fragments are inherent to the structure of the fibers.

Injection molded polycarbonate, as found in cheap, DOT-only helmets, has shown to offer better protection than any of the fiber reinforced helmets. However, there is nothing more beautiful or trick than exposed carbon fiber....

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
This helmet is not made from from your run of the mill CF-it is a special fiber lay-up in a thick clear gel according to a friend who knows a bit about CF. HJC did a ton of research on this beauty and I think it is a very good helmet. KBC is also doing leading edge research and production on helmets so the world helmet race is on. Arai and other top shelf makers need to go forward as well. I just wish we could buy non-Snell helmets in the same type, that is with the ECE ratings and/or DOT only as they are probably better in 99% of the mishaps motorcycle riders are involved in. The styrofoam(?) liners are too hard in the Snell helmets and thusly the force is transmitted to your brain.....etc........etc...

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rode the Bonnie 200+ miles today with it (ton up more than a few times.) Still lovin the lid. The wind noise wasn't as distracting today (forgot my ear plugs) - but I did notice an increase in air flow around my face than I'm use to - even with the vents closed. Not a bad thing, just an observation. Kept my head cool at least. All in all - I'm VERY happy with this one.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tee hee :lollol:

We call them a 'box'

as in Cricket Box

Or a Jockstrap..... don't ask
In the US a box would be hmm.... a motivation for actually wearing a cup...

I just got the exact same helmet...

[ This message was edited by: MNSpintST on 2006-10-01 21:32 ]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.