Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on Trat since 2005, and I have a 2006 Speed Triple and just sold a Rocket 3. With the proceeds from the Rocket I just bought this today. Owner is going to get a new battery, and get it registered and I can pick it up.

It's a 96 Speed Triple...6 speed gearbox and upgraded brakes, SS braided lines, Sebring 3 into 1 , and a few small mods. It was the last 96 bought in Australia about the time the 97 was introduced. Its done 65,000km (about 40,000 miles) and is in excellent condition.

I cant' wait to get this home and start to play with it.

meantime I have a couple of questions.....Can someone tell me what the model code is for the OEM battery?

I have no owners manual. Is it still possible to get one?

Should I get a factory service manual or would a Haynes manual be a better option?

I'm gonna have a hundred more questions, but I will use the search function before asking questions that have been asked a million times before.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Very nice fella, batteries are still available mate anyone with a Yuasa book can sort you out. There are options, gel and little race spec ones, others will enlighten you there if it's what you want and that's only because I don't know! :) Only word of warning here is to keep that battery in tip top shape as starting a T3 on a weak battery leads to sprag of doom syndrome.

Factory and Haynes manuals compliment each other in all honesty, if you have cash get both. Haynes explains jobs in better detail but the diagrams in the factory book are brilliant. Haynes is cheaper if you want to start that way & both are still available from source. The third book for your bike will be Mot's website. He'll be along shortly.

Enjoy your tinkering and ask away.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Nice ride! I'd go with Haynes over OEM if I had to choose, but I'll confirm that it's good to have both.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hi Legman, nice looking bike.

Original battery is a Yuasa YB14L-A2 but I'd recommend going for a Dynavolt MGCB14LA2 gel battery.

I changed mine because the pillock who last replaced the battery fitted the vent pipe too short and battery acid had damaged the rear brake arm etc. Easily sorted but a gel battery holds it's charge better and turns the engine over better which helps with the aforementioned spragg clutch.

I'm replacing all my batteries with gel over time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
G'day mate,
Motobatt MBTX14AU is a very good gel maintenance free battery.
Also for any parts/spares you may need give 'Ryan' a call at Melbourne City Triumph.
He's one of the few parts guys that i don't have any problems with.

Nice bike BTW!!!

cheers

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Mot and the others for the battery information. I ordered a Deka ETX 15L battery today. Its an AGM battery which also cranks better than the standard. I don't want to have to replace the Sprag.....big job on this model, I believe.

Looking for a Haynes manual at the moment. Recommended by an ex 95 Trident owner.

Another question....the headlight unit (glass and reflector etc) looks a bit old fashioned. Has anybody upgraded to a more modern unit. (or made any other modifications)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Mot. That website of yours is going to an important resource for me. I was wondering about replacing the whole headlight with something from a modern bike, like a Yamaha XJR 1300 or a Suzuki 1400. I imagine they would have better lights than a 96 model bike. I will research this further when I actually have the bike in my possession....hopefully next weekend.

That insert from Sprint manufacturing looks like it would be a good alternative as well

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
replacing the whole bowl will be a pain in the A as there is loads of wiring cramed in the back of it....tbh once you have uprated the reflector and lens and added something like a Nightracer bulb it will be as good as pretty much most stuff, or you could just plug an HID into the thing for max oooomph as it were !

Cheers
Mot

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thanks Mot. That website of yours is going to an important resource for me. I was wondering about replacing the whole headlight with something from a modern bike, like a Yamaha XJR 1300 or a Suzuki 1400. I imagine they would have better lights than a 96 model bike. I will research this further when I actually have the bike in my possession....hopefully next weekend.

That insert from Sprint manufacturing looks like it would be a good alternative as well
Good job the lights from a Tiger 1050 don't fit though as they are crap! :)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, I finally picked her up yesterday, and rode her home.

Very different feel to my 06 S3. Sound of that Sebring pipe is awesome.

3 things I noticed.

1. Throttle is very heavy...is this normal or would it benefit from some throttle cable service, or even a new one?
2. Clutch takes up very late. Being a hydraulic clutch, I am assuming that there is no adjustability. Am I correct?
3. I look awesome on it.... :)

Another thing...it is doing 5000 rpm at 100 kmh (62 mph). Is this standard or do I maybe have a smaller front sprocket?

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Throttle...check it's not the grips dragging on the bar end, squirt a bit of wd40 up the inside between the throttle tube and the bar. lastly take the throttle cable off at the twist grip and get some oil down it, best done left over night ;-)

You are corrct about the clutch but you could adjust the lever to help and a bleed through of fresh fluid too ;-)

Can't remember revs mph etc but sounds about right, you have probably got a 6 speed being a 96 ? it should have 17/43 as stock gearing.

Your're a big fella and it's a man sized bike so a good match !

Cheers
Mot

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Mot. I'll do what you suggest about the throttle....and the clutch.
5000 revs at 100kmh seems high for a big capacity bike. I'll pull the side cover and count the sprocket teeth.
Maybe someone else will confirm the relationship between revs and speed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My Daytona [ same motor as yours ] has stock gearing 17/43 ....4000rpm at 100kmh in 6th gear.

If you pull the side cover you will have to drain the engine oil* +you will need a side cover gasket & possibly the gearshaft seal & clutch rod seal.

* you could lean the bike on it's right side a little against something solid to avoid draining the oil.

cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts