Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you guys that are in the Sprint forum might have read about me and my Sprint getting run over in a parking lot. Got the insurance pay out and bought the bike back, long story short had some money to play with. I thought I'd be responsible and stimulate the local economy buy buying another motorcycle. Kitchen remodels and big screen TVs are for chumps!

Found this 1998 TBS on CL Friday night, called the owner, he was in Arizona at the time, called him three times yesterday (to let him know I'm serious), met up with him today during lunch left a deposit, picked it up after work and have been fondling it ever since :eek:

I'm the third owner, has 12,490 miles, 100% stock, dent/rust free :D

Bike hasn't been ridden since this past September! Needs to be gone through and tuned up. The only cosmetic issues I found are missing silencer coupling cover and small puncture in the seat cover.

The bike is very dirty needs to be cleaned and polished up!!

Blah blah blah here are the pics!

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Nice one Rollins, looks fantastic you lucky [email protected]!! Like the look of your Sprint too, what year/model is it?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Nice!

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Barely run in at 12k miles :)

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice one Rollins, looks fantastic you lucky [email protected]!! Like the look of your Sprint too, what year/model is it?
It's a 2006 ST 1050, looked really nice before the accident.

I'm going to get he TBS registered today and ride it a bit before tearing into it.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I admit I have climate envy. It must be so nice to live in a place that is so nice to older metal machines (and that allows so many additional weeks of riding than we have here!)

I don't think you can ever go wrong with a TBS, and to find one with such low miles is especially sweet. You'll be enjoying this long after your neighbor's new giant TV is sitting at the curb waiting for the recycling truck.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words fellas!!

I've be looking at the pics since I'll be stuck at work for a few more hours. It looks pretty clean but let me tell you, the bike is dirty and I'll be spending the next two days cleaning it. I need to go buy a 10 pack of cheap tooth brushes. :D

The previous owner said the valves were done at 10k a few months after he bought the bike in 2008, I have no reason not to believe him, seemed like a very stand up guy. The battery in it is 3 years old, I'll most likely put a new one in it sooner than later. I'll probably have it up on stands and wheels off tomorrow night to see what I need to order pads, bearings ect ect

List of to do stuff in the very near future:

Clean the bike
I have the stuff for an oil change ready to go
Brakes and clutch fliuds will be flushed out, calipers cleaned and serviced, brake pads might need replaced.
Audi fan temp switch is on order, will flush coolant and radiator when it arrives
The chain looks very dirty and loose, so I'll check the stretch of it and replace if necessary, sprockets too if needed
Check wheels bearings and replace if needed
Check spokes, clean wheels, clean some more and polish them out
Check that damm duckbill filter, clean petcock screens
Grease rear suspension fittings
Check wiring in headlight bucket for chaffing
Clean some more

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Great Find

You have the best year and color for a TBS, of course I could be a little biased.
Tons of info and helpful folks here concerning mods or maintenance. Enjoy the new ride.....

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I spent most of the day cleaning the bike today and giving her a good look over. Need brake pads all around, a rear rotor, shifter shaft seal. I have a list of stuff to buy.

Washed most of the crud off, I still have to clay bar and wax the paint, polish the wheels, exhaust and find something to bring back the black finish on the gauges. Took her for a decent ride, man this bike is sweet wow!

I found some cool markings left by the factory. I took a bunch of pics of those in case someone wanted to see them. Here's some pics.

Before clay bar and waxing! Good quality factory paint!! :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts