Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
think i might have a problem with bad fuel need to empty tank but don't have service manual yet
any tips or precautions before i make an attempt?

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Watch out that on replacing the tank that you don't pinch the fuel lines or squash the connectors.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does the upper body work have to be removed or will it just pull straight up
3 visible bolts (is that it or are there others i cant see yet)
if anyone has a couple of minutes it would be great if i could ask a few quick questions
new member so i cant send IM's yet - if i get any email replys to this i'll email my phone # and mabye i could call to ask a few quick questions

i'll be up late prob 2am EST at least
either way thanks
p.s. former bmw owner nice to know triumph owners are just as nice about taking time to help other owners
thats what makes what comes around go around - in the good way

·
Registered
499 Posts
ST,

As you've probably seen, there are three bolts to be removed and all three are accessible without removing any of the plastic.

BUT. There are connections on the lower right side of the tank that will require you to remove the tail section plastic. That requires removal of the grab rail and an additional two bolts in the back. The front of the plastic is held in place by three grommets on each side, then gently pull it back and up. The rear plastic has three sections and they come off as a unit. Don't forget to disconnect the rear light before pulling the plastic off.

At the tank, there are two fuel quick disconnects. You may want to get new o-rings when you do this. In any case, be very careful not to nick the o-rings when re-installing. There's also two small diameter drain hoses connected to two of the three nipples. Don't worry about the third nipple. And there are two electrical connectors.

All that being said, if you think your problem is "old" fuel, you're much easier off to siphon the gas out and just refill.

Good luck,
Bern

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anybody know if the fuel filter is inside the tank like the speed triple? access through bottom of tank?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Also, before you re-install the tank, check the drain and breather hoses (hook the tube up and blow through each). The drain on my RS was blocked when I bought it and water collected around the filler hole invariably puddling back into the tank when the filler cap was opened. The torque for the front bolt is 8Nm and the rear 5Nm.

·
Registered
69 Posts
To access the filters you will need to remove the right hand panel. The filter is mounted to that right next to the pump. Make sure you get a new gasket before you start because sure-as-***** you will have fuel leaks if you re-use the old gasket.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ooops, mustn't say the No2 word!

When you refit the tank, the feed hose (which goes to the right-hand end of the fuel rail) goes into the socket on the short hose extension and the return hose goes into the socket on the fuel pump mounting plate. If you get these hoses the wrong way around you will have the devils own time trying to start your bike.

lastly, before refitting the side plastic, turn the ignition switch on and make sure there are no fuel leaks.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
And, DON"T BUY FUEL FILTERS FROM TRIUMPH!

Check the parts sticky at the top of the forum. The TUSA price is $40. The same filter from Purolator is $2.40 and down the street at your Auto parts store.

Contrary to what MrMoped said, your tank gasket is probably ok. Don't overtorque the plate bolts.

+1 on checking the overflow piping. My '00 clogged twice, and I have no idea why.

Put a little floor wax on the rubber grommets that hold your side fairing before you re-assemble. Helps re-assembly and later work.

Also, check ALL the fairing bolts and frame attachments. They come loose.

HTH, Steve

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah fair call on the gasket. Mine leaked worse than an old codger with a bellyfull of light beer when I did my filter.

The side plate bolts are torqued to 6Nm (4.43ftlb/53.1inlb)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts