Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious on the fashion versus practical boot type worn, as not being that fashion conscious and looking for a new pair of boots, what are people wearing?:confused:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Bike boots are not so much a fashion statement as a safety item, a friend of mine
had a bad OFF, his ankle rotated, and needed a major medical operations, so I would look
for a boot with ankle support, plus if you are doing alot of riding summer and winter,
warmth, waterproof (nothing worst than COLD wet feet).

Also boots that have some sort padding on left boot for gear change duties.

Cheers Barry

·
Registered
848 Posts
Bought a pair of Sidi Way Rain boots 2 months ago and I am 1/2 way through the shift pad on the boot. Next time I will buy leather.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I switch among a few pair.

My favorites are Ariat tall, lace-up cowboy workboots. Comfortable, tough, good support, and an especially thick sole which is a nice little advantage with my short inseam (I don't quite flatfoot my Sprint). They look normal and are brown. The downside is they aren't waterproof.

I have a nice pair of Triumph Gore-tex boots. Don't remember the model name, but they work quite well. Don't know if Triumph sells them anymore. I think they were made by Sidi.

When I work in the ER, I wear an ankle high approach shoe. The ride to work is pretty short, so I just wear those for the ride to work. They're waterproof, but not as much protection as my other boots.

When I'm on flight duty, I wear a standard paratrooper's combat boot. Sometimes I just suit up at home, so I wear the boots for the 70 mile trip, as well.

I agree that waterproof is a good quality in a boot; but I carry rain covers for my boots and gloves, so it isn't as critical.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Just ordered myself a pair of Altberg`s
luckily I managed to take myself to the shop/factory and get myself measured up for a correctly fitted/tailored pair, downside is .......... I won`t get them till the end of June due to the back orders

·
Registered
503 Posts
Bought a pair of Sidi Way Rain boots 2 months ago and I am 1/2 way through the shift pad on the boot. Next time I will buy leather.
I had the same issue with my Sidi Way Rain Sport boots. There does not appear to be extra padding in the shift area of the boot. After six months, I sent pictures and an e-mail to MotoNation and they sent me a free pair of replacement boots under warranty. You may want to try that.

It is odd that motorcycle specialty boots made by Sidi seem to have this problem.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Regarding Sidi boots, I think it must depend on the model. I have a pair of Vertigo Air boots that are about 3 years old and the look pretty new still.

My experience with Sidi boots is that they are very comfortable, well made and protect well. In addition to they Vertigo Air boots, I have a pair the the Doha boots which are like high top tennis shoes but reinforced for riding and I have a pair of Onroad Goretex winter boots. They Onroad boots are very comfortable, warm and dry, but kinda clunky compared to the Vertigos, which is to be expected.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I have a pair of Oxtar Evo Ti's and bought them specifically because they have anti-hyper extension guards at all joints in all directions, toes, ball of the foot, and ankle. Having titanium toe and side guards and making pretty sparkles is an added bonus:D.
They may look a little "power rangerish" but I feel well protected from the shins down.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Was it these? Still for sale. $110 shipped :D

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/mcy/1173562504.html
I've been wearing a pair of those all day long almost daily for a year now. Very comfortable once broken in, still very waterproof after 10k riding miles and countless walking miles. I've literally walked miles through the snow in them last winter, as well. I did buy a pair of memory foam cushion insoles, since I walk so much in them.

The leather is holding up very well, though the soles are getting thinner, and the nubuck bits now look like regular leather. I figure they've got a year of the same type of wear and tear left in them.

They aren't the most protective boots out there, but they look good under a pair of jeans, protect the most important bits, and don't scream Power Ranger.

·
Registered
472 Posts
TCX infinity.
These are brilliant. Totally waterproof, comfy and really strong protection. Bit hot in nice weather tho! Still you cant have everything.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
I have a pair of the Oxtar Evo Ti's that I've worn for 2 years and they still look practically new. They are fairly comfortable, but I wouldn't want to walk far in them. I recently bought a pair of Sidi Vertigo Corsa's and they are exceptionally comfortable, plus the adjustable top makes walking around off the bike feasible. Finally, I have a pair of low cut Diadora waterproof touring boots that are comfortable, easy to walk in, and don't look like they were stolen from an Imperial stormtrooper. For those reasons I probably end up wearing them a little more than the others. Oh yes, I also have a pair of Fieldsheer sport boots that I hardly ever wear because the toes seem too big and interfere with shifting.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Call me cheap....

I always go for safety, but try to cut costs anyway I can. I have been wearing some cheap work boots from Walmart. They are the Survivor boots. They are steel toed, go way past the ankle, have a tough leather shell(I have roughly 8000 riding miles on them and the place where your shifter hits, isn't even showing the first signs of wearing through). Once broken in are very comfortable to wear around at work(if they work with your offices' attire), and about 5000 miles ago I was in a front end crash into a Jeep. I totaled the bike and survived with only road rash and many bruises, and the boots saved my left foot big time! I am still wearing the same boots. I would like a pair of $200-$300 boots, but for now, they Walmart specials are awesome!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I used to wear a high quality work boot with steel toes, mostly because I had to wear them for work and didn't see the point in carrying one set of boots to ride and one to work. But now I got a desk job that requires black shoes, slacks, and button down shirts instead of flannel, jeans, and work boots. Plus getting the lugs caught on the pegs when trying to shift and break drove me nuts.

So I switched to the Shift Racing Fuel shoe.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/13094/ITEM/Shift-Racing-Fuel-Street-Shoes.aspx

They are fairly comfy all day and provides a decent amount of protection. Ankles do get a little sore because they are reinfoced with plastic and they pinch a bit. I do a fair amount of walking around at work and stair climbing and it isn't so annoying that I want to stop wearing these boots. Plus they aren't some avangarde fashion misfit looking boots that would get me in trouble with HR for wearing them. I wouldn't go racing in them, but work just fine for the daily commute and blasting around town. I haven't gotten them wet yet so I don't know how they hold up in the rain, but aside from that I am very happy with them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I got lucky at Cyclegear one day while browsing boots and found a pair of these

http://www.motostrano.com/puroboblsi.html

Lucky because I only paid $100 for them, thery are very comfy, waterproof and build like their tennis shoes, a bit on the narrow side, which fits my sice 13 AA foot juuuuust great with a pair of thick socks. Other boots allowed my foot to "swim" around in them.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I wear a pair of Puma Desmo's, the Canadian version is 100% waterproof, I don't think the US model is. I like them because it is the first bike boot that accomidates my large calves. I find them quite comfortable, and once broken in I am sure I will be able to walk a while in them.

Nice boot well armoured.

Dr. T

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I've got the Triumph Explorer II's, and I love 'em.

Comfortable, cheap and water-resistant and 'breathable'.

And, they don't look like Power Ranger boots, so I can wear them at the office. I do get comments about the bright white spots on the heels, though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bike boots are not so much a fashion statement as a safety item, a friend of mine
had a bad OFF, his ankle rotated, and needed a major medical operations, so I would look
for a boot with ankle support, plus if you are doing alot of riding summer and winter,
warmth, waterproof (nothing worst than COLD wet feet).

Also boots that have some sort padding on left boot for gear change duties.

Cheers Barry

Good idea on the left boot padding, I've ridden in tennis shoes and ended up with a black and blue foot. I wear my Triumph boots when going for a ride of any length.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts