Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Tiger the first week of November and I'm having a hard time putting her away for the winter.

I'm dressing fairly warm but I work in a bank and really need to cut down on the amount of clothes I am wearing in to work.

I'm looking for a pair of boots and pants. I'd like the boots to be waterproof but wearable all year long (100 to 30 degrees F with added socks), and the pants to be warm and comfortable enough to wear in 30 to 50 degree weather without having to cycle layers.

I wear a size 12 (a little narrow) boot, and a 38 long pant if that's any bearing on your suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have Oxtar Matrix II - waterproof, good for 30-100degF, very comfortable. Oxtar is no longer, now is TCS, same boots under new name here.
As for overpants - leather works best, with rain gear over for rainy days. Leather gives warmth and protection. I wear Icon Automag pants - buy your size and you can use it both as overpants and as pants for weekend riding. I wear them over my slacks at 30 and I'm comfortable for my 30min commute. Thick, nice leather, excellent armour, stretch panels (panels are little drafty at 30F but still OK - and great for warm weather riding). Or you can go with textile - for cold and wet I have Fieldsheer Adventure - quality, good armour, waterproof and with thermoliner, good as overpants and solo.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wear TourMaster Solution boots all year round, 100-30 degrees F. Waterproof, comfortable (really comfortable), decent protection, reasonable price, and nice looking, although you probably can't get away with wearing them at a bank. Maybe, though. I have worn mine at work.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha! No I take my boots off at work :) I have to sport the dress shoes once I get to my office.

I might try that on Friday though... Carharts and Cycle boots.

·
Registered
78 Posts
First Gear

I purchased Firstgear pants. Removable Thinsulate liner, waterproof--very warm. Removable/adjustable knee pads, hip pads.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really like FirstGear's stuff. Any thoughts between the HT 2.0 and the HT 2.0 air overpants?

How cold can you wear the 2.0 Air Overpants?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I really like FirstGear's stuff. Any thoughts between the HT 2.0 and the HT 2.0 air overpants?

How cold can you wear the 2.0 Air Overpants?
HT 2.0 Air are mesh overpants. How cold? Wrong question, these are HOT weather riding pants.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use Daytona boots all year round in the UK. They are waterproof, warm n the winter with thicker socks and and cool enough for the summer wiith thinner socks. They have width adjustment on them.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've learned not to buy this kind of clothing blind off the internet. That said I ran all over Kansas City today trying on pants and boots.

These were the only boots that I found that "fit" and either they will really need to be broken in or they are just still a bit sloppy.
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+boots/fly_milepost+sport+touring+boots

I have not bought or even tried on boots since I was a kid. The experience was unlike any shoe shopping adventure I had ever been on. Are there any tips or tricks for fitting boots?

I also tried on some pants... I wear a 38/36, so going by FirstGear sizing I tried on these in a 38L and then 40L
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/off+road/dual+sport/firstgear_ht+2.0+overpants+

They were plenty long, but I felt like I was having shoe horn my butt into them. The lady was getting tired of running to the basement for me so I didn't ask for the 42L.

I didn't think this was going to be this hard.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow some of that gear you guys suggested is pricey, and again I can't find anywhere around Kansas City that caries them to try them on.

Those Tourmaster boots look nice. I am going to call around tomorrow. Several places around town are listed as Tourmaster dealers.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sidi Strada Evo Rain Boots. I wear these boots year round and they are completely water proof, unless of course the rest of you is soaked and the water trickles down your leg into the boot. Comfortable for 16+ hours on your feet as well. I have had mine for couple of years now and they are worth the money. Look around you can find the cheaper.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/106/ITEM/Sidi-Strada-Evo-Rain-Boots.aspx?SiteID=CSE_GBase_036&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=106

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm a new member so I'm not all that hip
on what you guys/gals dig here. BUT....

I wanted a boot that I could walk in and
not look like a total tool. If I were at the
mall or out eating dinner I wanted them
to be not all that noticeable but they need
to WORK for what they were purchased
for. Also, I didn't want to spend 250 bucks
on them.

So, I tried on several and really liked the
Timberland Downshifter. I have had an
accident in them and they protected great
and after some shoe polish you cant tell
they were down. They wear like a shoe
not your typical motorcycle boot. The ad
isn't mine nor do I suggest this seller is
who to buy from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TIMBERLAND-DOWNSHIFER-MAX-MEN-13-EUR-47-5_W0QQitemZ310106471391QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Men_s_Shoes?hash=item310106471391&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

·
Registered
300 Posts
These shoes rock. I tried them on at a rally last summer in Gettysburg. They're crazy comfortable, pretty affordable and look slick as whale sh*t. Best of all, they zip up. There are no laces that can get untied and tangled in the rear set.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1773

·
Registered
191 Posts
These shoes rock. I tried them on at a rally last summer in Gettysburg. They're crazy comfortable, pretty affordable and look slick as whale sh*t. Best of all, they zip up. There are no laces that can get untied and tangled in the rear set.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1773
Ah....Redwing boots. Ive worn nothing but Redwing workboots for over 10 years. Not my thing for riding boots, but all their products are HIGH quality. Best thing is, if your in to supporting countries that have more favorable environmental and labor rights policies....many Redwing models are still made in the USA!!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yea, if you get a chance to go into to the store vs. ordering online, definitely go to the store. They sales reps at redwing are extremely good at getting you the perfect size shoe, regardless of how wide or skinny your foot is or even whether or not your feet match each other.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I prefer a motorcycle boot for the added crash safety, and for the obvious - I work for a dealer. I got several good years out of a pair of Sidis - totally waterproof. The Alpinestars I recently added are also waterproof, and a tad easier to put on and off.

For crap weather and the cold, I recently purchased some Fieldsheer pants, and they are a real boon. A zip in liner you do not need unless it is about 40 degrees or so, and long zippers to make them really easy on and off. Terrific product!

True, Fieldsheer did send me to China to attend the Moto GP last May, and it was an incredible trip, so I wanted to buy some of their product, but the pants really are terrific!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
These are marked as a motorcycle boot. Do you mean they don't have adequate ankle / impact protection?

I did notice they don't say they are %100 waterproof... I would assume with regular treatment they would be but I don't know much about boots.

I guess I need to shop around some more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts