Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I've got about $200 USD left for moto stuff before Summer, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. My plan has been to get some summer riding boots/shoes because my only boots are waterproof (Sidi Strada Tepor) and are really warm.

Then I got to thinking about suspension. My Speed is my daily "driver", so ride quality and safety are important (I weigh about 200 lbs. so stock sucks). Ultimately, I'd like to get gold valves + springs in the forks, and either a gold valve + spring or new aftermarket shock. But alas, my budget.

So I'm looking for some opinions.

- Are new fork springs worth the labor (my own time) if I'm just going to do gold valves next year?
- Along those lines, should I make a call and get a rear spring too (planning for gold valve next year)?
- During the stop-and-go in the summer, while my feet are being poached, will I still be glad I went with springs? Yes, I know, I live in Washington, but 90 degrees is still too warm to be wearing waterproof calf-high boots IMO.
- Should I get something else entirely? Sliders? Pazzos? I'm open to any other ideas, if they are practical.

Thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree with the above statement but if your suspension is setup properly it could help avoid a stupid mistake. I just did racetech springs in my '00 and it made a large difference in how the bike handles. (I already had an Eibach spring in the rear that I installed last year.) Large enough that I'm happy with it and will not be spending the cash on the gold valves.;)

Deal with the heat in your boots. Pazzo's are good if your replacing a broken lever but if your are working then why change them. Not saying they arent worth it but it seams that the other options would be higher priority.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nice, thanks for the feedback bobmcduff & CDickey. Yeah, the Pazzos are much lower priority for me, but I thought I'd throw that out there to see if anybody felt they were more practical than I realized. :)

It sounds like with new springs, I get a decent improvement in the suspension... good enough that I might not even want to spend $ on the valves. That would be cool. I readily acknowledge I'm not going to be pushing the suspension to its limits anytime, so "lame valving" is a bit lower on my to-fix list than "possibly mismatched under-weight overly-soft/stiff progressive springs." (what I can gather from other threads)

So I need to figure out how much more likely I'd be to avoid a stupid mistake with better suspension. Sliders are my dirty secret... I know I should get them, but it seems like I always spend my money on something else. :eek:

Is there anything else worth considering besides sliders or springs?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm 235 and also use my 06 speed triple as my primary source for transportation. I have put over 7,000 miles on since I bought my bike last June. Stock suspension doesn't bother me but thus far my sliders have saved my wallet twice. Once in the winter when I slipped on ice pulling speedy from the garage and once on a 50 mph low slide when my tire ate a nail. Definately go with the sliders. I recommend Milq on the *other* forum. I paid $60 a set. Give him a call at 618-516-1615. Also you would still have some money left over for some ebay special boots that are bound to come up...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts