Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Could someone recommend a good book that deals with the history of Triumphs? I am specifically interested in bikes from the 60's and 70's. I would like to get an old Triumph in the near future, but do not currently know much about them (other than I like 'em).

Also, might someone inform me as to what "oil-in-frame" means?

many thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
When I was doing my research before I id my resto I got three books:

Triumph Motorcycle Restoration Guide: Bonneville and TR6 1956-1983 by David Gaylin. (this maybe out of print) All black and white pics lots of technical stuff.

Original Triumph Bonneville: The Restorers Guide to all models 1956-1983 by Gerard Kane. Lots of color pics of certain models but not complete for each model. Good list of major changes for each year and good list of color schemes for each year US and UK.

Triumph Motorcycles: A century of Passion and Power by Lindsay Brooke. Tons of history of Triumph but not a restoration guide. Walks thru Triumph from the earliest days to the modern company.

As for oil in frame, Triumph changed their frames in 1971. They took the oil tank off the right side and enlarged the down tube and filled it with oil. Part of the frame was now the oil tank.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Triumph (BSA) took the oil tank out. They ran the oil inside the frame in 1971. It was not an idea that was recieved well.
TWO BOOKS: Triumph Motorcycles A Century Of Passion And Power by Lindsay Brooke. I highly reccomend this book. I have a hard back copy from MBI Publishing Classic Motorbooks.
Triumph Bonneville And TR6 is another good book by Timothy Remus.
For a free catalog of Classic Motorbooks 1-800-826-6600
visit www.motorbooks.com

·
Registered
171 Posts
Triumph Motorcycles In America by Lindsay Brooks/David Gavin with foreword by Gary Nixon. (1993)

However, I just checked, and it's OOP with used/collectible ones going for $100 or slightly more. It originally sold for $24.95 when I got mine as a gift.

Have contacted the original publisher, Motorbooks Int'l, to see whether they have any plans to repubish it.

·
Super Moderator
13,536 Posts
One of my buddies, Howard "Shotgun" Winchester, is mentioned in "Triumph, a century of Passion & Power" in the section on the "Slickshift" feature.

He is one of the nicest old guys you would ever want to meet and still hauls a few of his bikes around to low-key bike shows and swap meets to chew the fat and enjoy the old bikes.

I've got a picture of him in his yard with one of his old Triumphs, surrounded by HUNDREDS of trophies, and that was EARLY in his racing career.

One of the good guys.

Oh yeah, good book by the way.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
All above books are excellent.
If you are interested in the Bonneville mite I add the book
BONNIE, THE DEVLOPMENT HISTORY OF THE TRIUMPH BONNIEVILLE;by J R NELSON.
there have been many excellent books written on the subject. but as they are out of print they may be hard to get a hold of or overly expensive.
IT'S A TRIUMPH by Ivor Davies was a good book but has been out of print about 25 years.
Look on Ebay for some of the older books.
My opinion if you see anything by John Tipler walk on by and save your money. He is the WORST writer out there(sorry DAG)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts