Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Triumph Motorcycle Restoration Guide - David Gaylin NR
Bonneville & TR6 (Tiger) 1956-1983

RIGHT NOW THE BID IS $209.57..CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT IT??????.....

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I am not sure, maybe it's out of print and not available, it is one that I don't have and is a special book. One thing is sure try finding "Bonnie, The development history of the triumph Bonneville” 2nd edition by JR Nelson and see what you'll pay. And that is the Bonneville Bible; it has every change and lists from which number on it changed etc. As maybe the case with the other book I am not sure.

BB

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am not sure, maybe it's out of print and not available, it is one that I don't have and is a special book. One thing is sure try finding "Bonnie, The development history of the triumph Bonneville” 2nd edition by JR Nelson and see what you'll pay. And that is the Bonneville Bible; it has every change and lists from which number on it changed etc. As maybe the case with the other book I am not sure.

BB
I just picked "Bonnie" up on amazon for $18.00 shipped.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
You very lucky, it seems they are now available again for US $22.94. At the time I was looking it was out of print and I paid NZ $150.00 for a very good second hand. I have just looked the book in question is unavailable.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have this book, very informative, lots of close up photos. Tells about whats right and wrong with some restorations, has info on change of parts split into sections engine, then frame and cycle parts. Has info on detailed stuff e.g. what month in '68 were the barrell, nuts changed to 12 point, factory drawing of the battery compartment for the '65 etc. Fantastic reference book for those who want their restoration just right. Unfortunately out of print and commands a high price.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Out of print can be a mysterious thing.

I had a 1989 BMW oem shop manual; paid $90 in 1989; sold it for $600 on Ebay.
So buy factory books and sit on them!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sometimes stuff can go for crazy prices on eBay, but that may be a record for the Gaylin book. It usually is going for at least $100, often more. The Gaylin book is most useful for restoration purposes, and a good source for information on the original set up by year.

Another very useful book is Triumph Twin Restoration by Roy Bacon. It is organized differently, documenting the changes by part as opposed to by the year, and stops at the '71 models. But it covers all the twins (Gaylin is just the 650s, '56 to '83). Goes for less than the Gaylin book, but still typically $50-$75 for a good copy.

As with many things, lower supply = higher demand/price. But if you want a relative bargain, be patient and search diligently using the eBay search engine using the author's name, etc. you may find a badly done listing that isn't attracting much attention and get a deal. I have two Gaylins, both very nice, one for a little under $100 and a like new one for $130. I have two of the Bacon Twin Restoration books, one of which is very nice (about $50) and one working copy ($35).

If you are interested in period performance modifications, two good books are Tuning the 650 Triumph by Dwain Taylor, and Triumph Speed Tuning by Stan Shenton. Both can be found on eBay from time to time. There are pirate copies of the Taylor booklet, and some originals, and an "official" reprint in very limited supply that was done recently. The Shenton book was done in two editions, and the later veriion has more info.

Also note the "Bonnie" book is available in two editions as well. The author, JR Nelson, also did a book "Triumph Bonneville Super Profile" which is very informative too.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Seeing that we are back on the subject of books, I know there will be a number of different opinions, so what. Considering one bike only i.e. 1959 Bonneville which book in each one’s own opinion is the best for a restoration guide for this bike only? Considering that this is the only bike I am going to restore.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hey thanks oldeboonie,

I will keep an eye out.

It looks like I may be getting another 59 soon. Keep the fingers crossed.

·
Registered
855 Posts
David Gaylin used to sell a lot of motorcycle memorabilia on ebay. I purchased an old poster from him. I can't remember his user name though. He would regularly sell both that book and the Triumph in America books signed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I bought a book from Gaylin not that long ago. I can't remember his eBay handle either. If I run across it I will post it. He actually buys copies of his own book if they go cheap; apparently he has a list of people who want copies.

Bushy, I think I can do better on describing the differences between Bacon's and Gaylin's books. Bacon's book is much more focused on the actual mechanics of restoration; Gaylins book on the 650s documents the changes over time, focusing on getting everything factory correct for model and year.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I bought a book from Gaylin not that long ago. I can't remember his eBay handle either. If I run across it I will post it. He actually buys copies of his own book if they go cheap; apparently he has a list of people who want copies.

Bushy, I think I can do better on describing the differences between Bacon's and Gaylin's books. Bacon's book is much more focused on the actual mechanics of restoration; Gaylins book on the 650s documents the changes over time, focusing on getting everything factory correct for model and year.

Yeah thanks guys. For me it only goes over a 1959 Bonnie and sorry to say nothing else, not really knowing exactly what a '59 Bonnie is suppose to look like, I may have to get both books????????

Which of the two books gives the most photographic information on a '59 bonnie?

·
Registered
223 Posts
That would be Gaylin. He devotes an entire chapter to the '59 Bonnie, with pictures intended to show correct details.

By the way, for folks interested in vintage or collectible books on bikes, be advised that book collectors are every bit as picky as bike connoisseurs regarding condition. So "working" copies of such books are often far less expensive than "concours" copies.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
TEN OUT OF TEN FOR YOU OLDEBONNIE, must get it.

By the by list your bikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Why doesn't anyone make an online book out of this one. If its selling for $200 and you can't find it in any bookstores, I looked. Then why isn't it available as an online book or a pdf. That way the information would be available to everyone who needs it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Arbeach. Probably the reason is it still has a copyright held by David. First published in 1997, all rights reserved, no parts to be reproduced without prior permission from the publisher. Again, if you spent a shed load of cash for the book, would you give the info away for free? It was originally $29.95 when first published so not a cheap book 12 years ago.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts