Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First before the flaming ;) let me preface and say happy New Year to those like me stuck in the snowy, gray and miserable mid west waiting for spring. I am bike-less as I write this and hope to pick up a new bike by the spring. I just sold my Victory Vegas and have been looking at a lot of new bikes. I am a pretty extreme motorhead and know motorcycles so want to poll the rare few that have owned both a Harley and perhaps now a Bonny. For me aside from cost and weight it comes down to riding position because there isn't much between a Bonny and Harley in acceleration...neither are that fast. Both have a great sound which is part of the riding experience...some may even prefer the sound of the Harley V twin versus parallel twin. I have never completely embraced the feet forward cruiser tail bone jarring riding position of my Vegas and one of the reasons I sold it. It was a beautiful and fast cruiser that sounded as good as any motorbike I have owned. I test rode a Bonny last year and must say I believe the std. mid control riding position agrees better with my aging back but some guys ride Harleys like loungers with a driver backrest which certainly helps with all the weight on one's tailbone and legs out in front not supporting the back. So what do you think to those that have perhaps owned each? Some denigrate Harleys but they have undeniable charm in general to motorheads...I would either consider a Fatboy softail or hot rod bagger like the Streetglide. The thing is all my colleages where I work in product development...engineers...ride Harleys so there is the social aspect as well as they are encouraging me to join the flock :)
So what do you think?
Thanks,
George

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Choice

Id get the Bonne. I like you have a bad back. mid controls ARE the way to go!! See a pot hole hike up. Doing a specially tight twisty MUCH more control! FWD controls just wont do it!! If ya gotta have that potato-potato-potato sound w/ strait pipes-then its no match. I bought my Bonne 4 yrs ago for the handling!! Itll hold the turns & twisties w/ the best of them!! Looks SO classic- its hard to get away from a gas station @ times being surrounded by people reliving in their minds old experiences. At one time- Triumph WAS THE BIKE!! HD'ws were police bikes & popcicycle machines.Jap bikes put an end to all of that. Its amazing that Triumph was able to do a re-birth! Ride them both & decide for yourself??
Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
The thing is all my colleages where I work in product development...engineers...ride Harleys so there is the social aspect as well as they are encouraging me to join the flock :)
So what do you think?
Thanks,
George
Ah, yes...peer pressure...the basis of all good decisions... :rolleyes:

F$ck the flock, buy whatever feels right to you...

I'll go back to my hole in Speed Triple-Land now...

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Get a Harley!
Or apply your engineering thinking skills to the problem and accept the outcome.:D

For me aside from cost and weight it comes down to riding position because there isn't much between a Bonny and Harley in acceleration...neither are that fast. OK

Both have a great sound which is part of the riding experience...some may even prefer the sound of the Harley V twin versus parallel twin. Meh

I have never completely embraced the feet forward cruiser tail bone jarring riding position of my Vegas and one of the reasons I sold it. Point for Bonnie

It was a beautiful and fast cruiser that sounded as good as any motorbike I have owned. OK

I test rode a Bonny last year and must say I believe the std. mid control riding position agrees better with my aging back Another Point for Bonnie!

but some guys ride Harleys like loungers with a driver backrest which certainly helps with all the weight on one's tailbone and legs out in front not supporting the back. Just like the Victory - so another point for the Bonnie!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, yes...peer pressure...the basis of all good decisions... :rolleyes:

F$ck the flock, buy whatever feels right to you...

I'll go back to my hole in Speed Triple-Land now...
Nice. There are many schools. Those less evolved discriminate. You obviously haven't learned that lesson. Yes...mindless adherance to the flock is dumb too but there are virtues in all motorbikes from Hondas to Ducatis to Guzis.
My personal view it really doesn't matter what you ride at the end of the day as long as you like it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I struggled with the Harley vs. Bonnie question (briefly) before making my decision. Actually, it was the good folks on this site that helped me make the right decision and go with Triumph. As my neighbour, who has had Harley's for years, recently complained... "everyone has Harleys now." If it is important for you to embrace the "Harley Lifestyle*" that is the way to go. But if you want to stand out in the crowd... get the Bonnie. Just one more thing, I've seen numerous posts here about Harley dudes crowding around, and admiring the Bonnevilles when they show up at rallies and rides. Your choice. But you must have had a reason (like me) to post on a Hinkley Twin site in the first place.

*(dress like a gay pirate).

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Id get the Bonne. I like you have a bad back. mid controls ARE the way to go!! See a pot hole hike up. Doing a specially tight twisty MUCH more control! FWD controls just wont do it!! If ya gotta have that potato-potato-potato sound w/ strait pipes-then its no match. I bought my Bonne 4 yrs ago for the handling!! Itll hold the turns & twisties w/ the best of them!! Looks SO classic- its hard to get away from a gas station @ times being surrounded by people reliving in their minds old experiences. At one time- Triumph WAS THE BIKE!! HD'ws were police bikes & popcicycle machines.Jap bikes put an end to all of that. Its amazing that Triumph was able to do a re-birth! Ride them both & decide for yourself??
Good luck!!!!
Hi Don.
My biggest concern is buyers remorse really getting another forward control motorcycle with that voice in the back of my head knowing I should be on a mid control bike. Some get it about riding position and others don't have a clue about it.
Thanks for your comments.
I haven't ruled out getting a Bonny.
Best,
George

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're worried about what your colleagues think, I agree with haggis. (Triumph's slogan is Go Your Own Way.)
I thought I would get some of that and I did. I don't care what they think. The question is what I ride more important than what they think. It may not be. All motorcycles have virtue and a following for a reason. Maybe those that haven't owned twenty bikes don't get that. I am waiting for those that have owned both to weigh in. Maybe a long wait...lol.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I've had both. I think both are wonderful machines.

Now I own a Scrambler and a Norton. They're very cool too! Moral: Too many da*ned fine bikes and too little time.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Jeez, I was stopping back to offer that I checked out the XR 1200 this weekend up in Toronto and it had a very natural riding position, similar to the Bonnie & the new MotoGuzzi V7 ( very "classic" looking bike , BTW ), but I guess I'll take my un-evolved opinion and go sulk somewhere instead... :mad:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had both. I think both are wonderful machines.

Now I own a Scrambler and a Norton. They're very cool too! Moral: Too many da*ned fine bikes and too little time.
I agree with you. Doesn't sound like you have a preference either.
Kind of like cars...Porsches versus Corvette versus BMW. I owned them all and there are virtues to each. I find it the same with motorbikes. Thanks,
George

·
Registered
180 Posts
I demoed the Harley last summer and decided they didn't have what I wanted.
I think they are nice but overpriced. Way to much vibration throughout the bike.
Be diffrent and get a Rocket. Go demo one and see if the ridding position fits your needs. You will enjoy the power and smoothness.

odie

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have both so...my advice...your decision

Your question about Harley or Triumph made me want to reply. I have both those bikes right now. The following comments are just my opinion so I don't want to hear rude replys to this please...
One is a 2007 HD Roadking hard bags with the new 6 speed tranny and EFI and modified exhaust and remapped
I also have a 2006 Triumph Thruxton AI removed, Saintune exhaust, rejetted 19tooth.
I love both these bikes. My girlfriend once asked WHY Do you have so many bikes!!??? (I have 5 right now) I told her motorcycle riding is like dancing, there are different types of dance and different types of bikes...for each type of riding...she understood so anyway to the point of your question. I rode BSA and Harleys years ago. Prior to the Thruxton I have now I had a 2002 Harley Road King and I nearly got killed when a jerk ran a red light and totalled my Harley and I had just finished fixing up to how I wanted it...when the HD got totalled I went bike shopping and loved the Thruxtons and Bonnevilles and I bought a Thruxton...A year later I really missed the Harley and bought another Harley Road King that I have now...but I kept the Thruxton...different type of dancing you see than the HD...The Triumph Thruxton will split traffic better than a HD since it is thinner...but the HD can split traffic too. People also seem to move out of the way WHEN they see me on the HD. If for some financial reason I had to sell all my bikes I would KEEP only one, the Harley...I still love Triumph BUT for some reason the heavier Harley with fuel injection gets 45+ miles per gallon, while the Triumph gets 40 MPG with a carb and weighs half as much. The MPG is not a big deal. I love the sound of both but for me the HD is better for me. The Harley is better for touring, my wife rides on the HD but not the Triumph (I know the Bonneville style is better for a passenger than the Thruxton) but the ride is better for 2 on the Harley...If COST is a big issue the Triumph looks attractive but if money is no object the Harley will keep you satisfied...I would also recommend IF you decide to go HD check out the hard bag Road King because it does everything well and I love that old style head light...I ride both these bikes to work 70+ miles a day...I get more positive comments from people about the Triumph...but the girls always want to ride the Harley...your decision. You can't loose since either the HD or Triumph will be a wise choice.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I demoed the Harley last summer and decided they didn't have what I wanted.
I think they are nice but overpriced. Way to much vibration throughout the bike.
Be diffrent and get a Rocket. Go demo one and see if the ridding position fits your needs. You will enjoy the power and smoothness.

odie
The Rocket is just that...a rocket. The torque is intoxicating to be sure. I demoed a Bonny, Speed Trip and ST Sprint last summer. I love the balance of the Bonny and riding postion the best but was underwhelmed by the power and sound. I believe any one of the aftermarket pipes for the Bonnie will unveil the character of the motor. One irony is much of the vibration taken out of the modern Bonny has emaculated its character a bit. Early Bonnys I owned though fraught with leaks and reliability issues seemed to have more character to me than the newest Bonnie. This in some ways mirrors the driving experience of a new BMW versus an old British sportscar which by contemporary standards are slow. The latter maybe more fun to drive at the end of the day.
Thanks for your comments,
George

·
Registered
518 Posts
George....

If all my pals rode Harley that alone would keep me away from one. I like being the odd one out and one of my favorite things about my old VTX was how much my Harley pals hated it.

The Triumph is accepted by everyone it seems, so that's a point against it.

But the riding postion is more forgiving of my old back and that sounds like a factor for you as well.

If you do get a Bonneville keep in mind it has a much shorter wheelbase than a cruiser. Makes the handling faster, sharper and a bit trickier. It is also easier to lock the rear brake even if you use mostly your front.

The Bonnie will also be a more different experience from your Vegas (very cool looking bike BTW but my only experience on one was a 30 minute test ride though.) than the Harley would be.

Good luck. You'll enjoy either!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your question about Harley or Triumph made me want to reply. I have both those bikes right now. The following comments are just my opinion so I don't want to hear rude replys to this please...
One is a 2007 HD Roadking hard bags with the new 6 speed tranny and EFI and modified exhaust and remapped
I also have a 2006 Triumph Thruxton AI removed, Saintune exhaust, rejetted 19tooth.
I love both these bikes. My girlfriend once asked WHY Do you have so many bikes!!??? (I have 5 right now) I told her motorcycle riding is like dancing, there are different types of dance and different types of bikes...for each type of riding...she understood so anyway to the point of your question. I rode BSA and Harleys years ago. Prior to the Thruxton I have now I had a 2002 Harley Road King and I nearly got killed when a jerk ran a red light and totalled my Harley and I had just finished fixing up to how I wanted it...when the HD got totalled I went bike shopping and loved the Thruxtons and Bonnevilles and I bought a Thruxton...A year later I really missed the Harley and bought another Harley Road King that I have now...but I kept the Thruxton...different type of dancing you see than the HD...The Triumph Thruxton will split traffic better than a HD since it is thinner...but the HD can split traffic too. People also seem to move out of the way WHEN they see me on the HD. If for some financial reason I had to sell all my bikes I would KEEP only one, the Harley...I still love Triumph BUT for some reason the heavier Harley with fuel injection gets 45+ miles per gallon, while the Triumph gets 40 MPG with a carb and weighs half as much. The MPG is not a big deal. I love the sound of both but for me the HD is better for me. The Harley is better for touring, my wife rides on the HD but not the Triumph (I know the Bonneville style is better for a passenger than the Thruxton) but the ride is better for 2 on the Harley...If COST is a big issue the Triumph looks attractive but if money is no object the Harley will keep you satisfied...I would also recommend IF you decide to go HD check out the hard bag Road King because it does everything well and I love that old style head light...I ride both these bikes to work 70+ miles a day...I get more positive comments from people about the Triumph...but the girls always want to ride the Harley...your decision. You can't loose since either the HD or Triumph will be a wise choice.
You are an enlightened man and man of taste. Thank you for your comments. Pretty much how I feel. I have to admit that I have a soft spot for hot rod baggers...the Streetglide being my favorite because of its minimalist styling and clean look. I also agree about the V twin sound. I prefer the Harley but others will prefer the Triumph symphony. The Road King has undeniable charm. I also agree that chicks dig Harleys....perhaps because they are bigger and appear more comfortable. Best to do it your way and own five bikes :)
Thanks again...was hoping for someone like yourself would weigh in and comfirm that both a Harley and Triumph each have their place.
George

·
29,948 Posts
Buy a bike.

Ride it. Enjoy it.

If you don't like it exchange it for a different one.

It doesn't really matter what bike you get as long as you like it.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.