Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I’ve had this 1982 T140 in parts for the last nearly 3 years . Finally did something about it. It’s far from stock , being a basket case when I purchased it and the economics of bringing her back to factory just didn’t make sense. It’s ex US and I purchased it from my neighbour about 4 years ago , non-running , non registered. I did a hasty build for roadworthy then and rode it for a while but the faults of 38 years began to assert themselves.
This time around I’ve spent probably more cash and time than I could ever recover but have ended up with a capable , nice handling, strong daily-rider. It sports 32mm Amal Concentrics, Tri-Spark ignition, discrete inline oil filter on return side , LED illumination and new clutch centre, plates, and aluminium pressure plate. Dunstall ( rebranded generic - soon to go ) piggyback shocks and Tec fork springs. Among other things.

I haven’t been able to keep off it and the last 3 weeks have been a process of identifying small problems and dealing with them. It’s a lot of simple fun riding something like this and my 2016 T-120 Black isn’t getting a look in - for now anyway.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice intro, welcome. I sincerely hope your intention is to "back-fill" the rebuild history, and can hardly wait to see the original "before" photos!
Thank you,
To my eternal shame I’ve lost the very first images as she was pushed in to the garage but still have enough to do a timeline and provide some contrasting before and after pics and I’ll do a bit of a walk through as time allows. It was a steep learning curve — I could look at a box of Norton bits and pretty much tell you what’s what but actually knowing what was right , wrong and simply missing on a Triumph took a while to nut out .
I’ll add to this soon.
Cheers , Dave.

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
I was the opposite, having started out owning and rebuilding Triumphs, then adding Nortons to the shopworks.

The more details you can provide in photo captions & narrative, the better; in my opinion, this helps other/new members more than anything else. WE DON'T GET BORED OF READING!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I lied! Actually found a couple of early pics which indicate the condition of the bike when purchased. It looked like it had been dropped a few times and many of the parts were just plain wrong - it also came with headers and mufflers for a Hinkley Bonneville which caused initial confusion. Much trolling through parts books and many image searches later , it started to make sense. It also had Bing carburettors but these weren’t fitted in any recognisable way and were promptly on-sold to a BMW owner.
The frame looked like it had been rattle can painted over what appeared to be hardened Portland cement ?.... why ?? Guess I’ll never know. PO was a great advocate of twist’n’tape auto electrics too .
My neighbour had purchased it in this condition some years ago with the intention of rebuilding but already had too many projects. It had been imported from Detroit , Michigan and had changed hands in Australia several times here before it ended up with me.

A couple of pics showing the general condition.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was the opposite, having started out owning and rebuilding Triumphs, then adding Nortons to the shopworks.

The more details you can provide in photo captions & narrative, the better; in my opinion, this helps other/new members more than anything else. WE DON'T GET BORED OF READING!
I still think Norton’s are easier to work on, but then it’s been quite a few years since I’ve done extensive work on one. I got a survivor M2a up to roadworthy here for my neighbour. It was a light restoration with the intention of keeping as much of the patina intact as possible , new brake lines , some loom work and careful brush enamel in areas that needed it. It’s number 29 off the assembly line in 1973 . It rides nicely too. Another US import.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts