Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Know this has been flogged to death in previous posts, but here goes again, I have a MY14 T100 with spoked rims and I want a dual disc/caliper set up. I am not chasing brake performance upgrade I want dual disc set up with a spoked front rim. its more about the aesthetics/look but to a certain extent even braking, not a fan of the tug to the left on hard braking. any one have any ideas on how to achieve this, even considered a full front end fork change from another bike. the research I have done shows everyone gives up as its hard to achieve. I have access to machining equipment and have a trade qualification in fitting and machining so manufacturing and modding parts is not an issue, as is getting it engineered as well.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
309 Posts
Perhaps you can fit a modern classic t-120 rim onto the t-100. It looks like there is an inch difference in wheel diameter, but that could be offset with a taller tire, if that bothers you. Not sure about the wheel width, however.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
CBR 600 its a known upgrade for standard forks . In fact any twin disc front end , to achieve spoke front wheel I'm sure Talon would make a hub .

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
From way, way back before efi the talk was , I think, that the front hub from a Thunderbird Sport triple fits, can't remember if you lace it to your rim or not. Maybe the early Speedmaster with twin disc fork lowers could be utilized? Once you have completed this project you can use your machinist skills to go 6 speed, that was talked about a lot back then too, twins having similar gear clusters to the triples.I am interested to find out how you do, always fancied twin discs myself but wanted to keep the spokes.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have a complete T120 front end and have been contemplating the conversion for a while (just short of time). The fork spacing for the T120 and aircooled T100 is exactly the same and the fork length is within 5mm difference in length, so it would be possible to bolt in a T120 front end complete, without even changing Yokes. I have a photo somewhere with the front end with the T120 and T100 aircooled bottom yokes fitted, just as a comparison. (found it........both yokes are fitted over the stanchions withe the wheel fitted)
t120.jpg

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I kind of think that Triumph felt that they'd found the perfect geometry with the Bonnie and stuck with it. All you'd need is a right handed caliper, some brake hoses and you're away. I also have the front mudguard assembly, so it's as easy as pie......I really wanted to be the first to complete this, but looks like not :).
I also have the speedmaster twin caliper sliders in my garage..........that was a lot more involved and I ditched the idea a couple of years ago.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I Know this has been flogged to death in previous posts, but here goes again, I have a MY14 T100 with spoked rims and I want a dual disc/caliper set up. I am not chasing brake performance upgrade I want dual disc set up with a spoked front rim. its more about the aesthetics/look but to a certain extent even braking, not a fan of the tug to the left on hard braking. any one have any ideas on how to achieve this, even considered a full front end fork change from another bike. the research I have done shows everyone gives up as its hard to achieve. I have access to machining equipment and have a trade qualification in fitting and machining so manufacturing and modding parts is not an issue, as is getting it engineered as well.
Thanks in advance
You’re a machinist.

pick a front end that you like, build your own triple clamps (yokes) transfer the stem to your new billet bits.
assemble.
Don’t look back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks to all for your support, so it looks like I have a job in front of me. step 1 Source a complete MY16 or latter t120 front end. 2 delace the front rim and swap over the hubs and discs. 3 fit M/C and source a brake line assy to suit removing the abs pipe work. 4 rework my front guard to suite the 120s stanchions. Due to our ADR,s (australian design rules) if I use all original genuine parts I may not be required to engineer the modifications and therefore no hassles with insurances and compliance (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I may not be required to engineer the modifications and therefore no hassles with insurances and compliance (y) (y)
Ah I was not aware that’s a thing for you. Makes sense now why you’re not just building an entire front triple assembly and grafting an entire donor front end on.

Even using the entire system and swapping the stem into the donor bottom yoke is not allowed?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts