Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brand new Bonnie Black got some rain on her and now she won't start. I tried to start her last night (just to listen) but i thought I flooded her and wore the battery down trying. Recharged the battery last night and tried starting her again just now. Nothing. Not even a sputter? Could the ignition be wet? Please excuse my ignoranc...I'm new at this..... :???:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The two things that got me when I first had the Bonneville were the ignition kill switch and the fuel petcock. Both are stupid mistakes that are easy to make. I felt like an idiot afterwards, of course, but at least they were easy fixes. :) (Also, Bonnies are notoriously cold-blooded, so make sure you've got the choke knob pulled all the way out. Do not give it any throttle when starting, just choke.)

If neither of those is the culprit, it's probably your sidestand sensor. Make sure the bike's in neutral when you're trying to start. Try sitting on the bike and putting the sidestand up.

--mark

[ This message was edited by: markbvt on 2006-12-01 15:00 ]

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Try opening the gas tank cap to equalize pressure inside the tank -- sometimes the overflow tubes get clogged. If that doesn't solve it, pull one of the sparkplugs and crank the bike over to see if you're getting spark (hold it so you don't shock yourself, with the metal side of the plug against part of the engine for grounding -- watch for spark in the gap at the tip).

--mark

[ This message was edited by: markbvt on 2006-12-01 16:00 ]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I am a dumbass. Turns out I was low on fuel. I guess the dealer hadn't completely filled the tank when I picked her up cause i needed to go to reserve after only 160k (100 miles). I just took her out now to get some gas. Friggin' cold out but the ride was great!!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Great ending! I know that you'll throughly enjoy the bike. I stated out really liking my T100, and have only gotten more pleased with it as time goes on. I find that I go on reserve right around 140 miles.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My dealer did that too. I wasn't expecting to have to go to reserve after 50 miles, and so assumed something must be wrong when the bike started to die on the way home. Finally figured out what was going on, switched to reserve. Nothing amiss, but they could have mentioned it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
When i picked up my Scrambler ,I asked the dealer if the tank was full. HE SAID YES.
Got 5kms and ran out in the middle of a busy intersection.
PISSED OFF. Cheers Rod :cool:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
GOTTA LOVE (SOME) OF THESE DEALERS. GAS IS LIKE AN OPTION TO THEM! AT LEAST IT WASNT SERIOUS- ALTHO COULDABEEN IN THE WRONG SITUATION! :)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
the problem with joining the dumb-ass club (we're all members here) is you have to pay your dues.
1 month without doing something to keep your membership in good standing, and you're out.
I went out to get the mail in my sweats and the high winds around here blew the door shut.
banging on your own door to get in is worth dumb ass points, I'd say :)
G

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Many of us entered the dumbass club the first time we tried to fill up the tank--and couldn't for the life of us get the cap off. How many stories have been posted of Bonnie riders sitting at a gas station, very much in need of gas, and unable to get the cap off. For the first two months I carried a rubber lid opener in my jacket, until I finally ordered the Monza cap. Some dumbass moments:

Removing the fuel line from the gas tank without turning the petcock off

Trying to start the bike without turning the petcock on

Getting gas, zipping everything back up, putting on your gloves, then remembering that the key is in your pants pocket

Filling up with diesel (haven't done this, but I've heard about it enough)

Walking out into the garage to do something to the bike, then standing there with no idea what it was

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
On 2006-12-03 12:06, badrufus wrote:
Many of us entered the dumbass club the first time we tried to fill up the tank--and couldn't for the life of us get the cap off. How many stories have been posted of Bonnie riders sitting at a gas station, very much in need of gas, and unable to get the cap off. For the first two months I carried a rubber lid opener in my jacket, until I finally ordered the Monza cap.
Yea... and I once had to wait at the pump until I saw a muscle-bound whipper-snapper come out, and then humbly ask him to unscrew my gas cap for me... cause I couldn't. So I no longer screw it on until it clicks. :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts