Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 Bonneville T100 won't start all of a sudden... I thought the starter relay (I think that is what it is) was fried because I could feel it clinking when I hit the starter. In hopes of riding it tomorrow morning I found that my Tiger had the same relay so swapped it over. Now the Tiger is starting on the one from the Bonnie and the Bonnie is still not starting. Any ideas? Battery has a full charge and all that happens when I hit the starter is a click in the relay.

I bought this Bonnie determined I was going to do everything myself and am quickly learning how little I know...

Just encase I am way off on what I think is the relay is something different it says Hella 20/30a 4rd003 520-13 and is in the pic below.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My 2005 Bonneville T100 won't start all of a sudden... I thought the starter relay (I think that is what it is) was fried because I could feel it clinking when I hit the starter. In hopes of riding it tomorrow morning I found that my Tiger had the same relay so swapped it over. Now the Tiger is starting on the one from the Bonnie and the Bonnie is still not starting. Any ideas? Battery has a full charge and all that happens when I hit the starter is a click in the relay.

I bought this Bonnie determined I was going to do everything myself and am quickly learning how little I know...

Just encase I am way off on what I think is the relay is something different it says Hella 20/30a 4rd003 520-13 and is in the pic below.

The clicking you are hearing is normal, as it is the relay is closing when the starter button is being pushed. Are you sure the battery is really OK, how old is it? It sounds like the battery is retaining enough charge to close the relay, but not enough amperage to turn the starter motor over.

It you have some jump cables you could try jumping the Bonnie from the Tiger’s battery, or if you don’t have any around, could you fit the Tiger battery (temporarily) and try and start the Bonnie just to prove the fault is or is not with the battery?

I assume all of the fuses are OK as well?

Good luck

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The clicking you are hearing is normal, as it is the relay is closing when the starter button is being pushed. Are you sure the battery is really OK, how old is it? It sounds like the battery is retaining enough charge to close the relay, but not enough amperage to turn the starter motor over.

It you have some jump cables you could try jumping the Bonnie from the Tiger’s battery, or if you don’t have any around, could you fit the Tiger battery (temporarily) and try and start the Bonnie just to prove the fault is or is not with the battery?

I assume all of the fuses are OK as well?

Good luck
I put the battery charger on the Bonnie and it is showing all good... And I turned it to start mode so it all the power it could want for. Prior to this issue I changed all the idiot lights and dial back lights for LED. Is there any wires going up to the dash area that might cause this if I knocked it loose? All the dash light are working as expected.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The wiring mods should not have caused you to have starting problems now. I know it's tempting to rely on gadgets but if I was in your shoes with the luxery of a known / good battery available from the Tiger, I'd just do a quick swap to at least dismiss that out of the potential fault list. The relay just clicking on / off without turning over the starter motor sounds like text book battery load issues.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Do you have power to your starter? Check the lead on the starter to make sure it's not corroded.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
You can have 12.6 volts at the battery terminals but have no amperage. It's amperage that turns the starter. Only a load test will show the amperage

The starter draws between 80 and 100 amps from the battery at 12.6 volts

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
If it's on the original battery, replace it. It's overdue for replacement anyway, and the problem will probably go away.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had an issue not too long ago with my thrux... in the end it was the spark plugs?.. but in your case you don;t even hear the engine go over right?
Not a peep from the engine... Just a click from the relay. Bought a new battery on the the way home... Will need it sooner or later and Cycle Gear has ones with lifetime warranty... So how can I go wrong?

It's charging now so will update in about two hours.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brand new top of the line battery, fully charged and installed properly... Hit the starter....

Click...

Hit it again...

Click...

So much for it being battery related...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$90 for a new battery...

$50 for a solenoid....

A week waiting on parts...

Drive up 40 miles each way to pick up the solenoid...

Swap it in... Hit the starter....

Click...

Hit it again...

Click...

So much for it being solenoid related...

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you get good voltage, which you should have, and the relay is going, I think that rules out the side stand interlock switch, but you can always lube that to be sure.

You can likely bump start it in second gear if there is power to the coils & plugs . If you have any trepidation on this, don't try it.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Sorry about misleading you and having to pay the $50 for a solenoid but, why did you change it?. The thread I directed you to gives tips on how to determine if it's bad.

Did you at least short the terminals with a screwdriver or wrench?. If so did the engine crank or turn over?.

This click you mention, does it come from the starter relay or the solenoid?. From the starter relay it'll be very faint and barely perceptible, but from the solenoid it's a solid thunk and you can even feel it if you place your hand on it.

Assuming solenoid and starter motor connections are sound, and the starter is receiving a solid 12 volts from that new battery, the only thing left is the starter motor itself but don't go changing it on my advice...:).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry about misleading you and having to pay the $50 for a solenoid but, why did you change it?. The thread I directed you to gives tips on how to determine if it's bad.

Did you at least short the terminals with a screwdriver or wrench?. If so did the engine crank or turn over?.

This click you mention, does it come from the starter relay or the solenoid?. From the starter relay it'll be very faint and barely perceptible, but from the solenoid it's a solid thunk and you can even feel it if you place your hand on it.

Assuming solenoid and starter motor connections are sound, and the starter is receiving a solid 12 volts from that new battery, the only thing left is the starter motor itself but don't go changing it on my advice...:).
I think I am going to just take it in to a shop... I am just getting pissed at the whole thing... As for the solenoid I figured that if it wasn't it, then I atleast have a spare now for when it does fail... I have a feeling there is a wiring problem. I was messing around with all the wiring in to the dash board when I was changing lights etc and it ran perfectly right before that and now won't start...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone know much about the switch in the kick stand? I was trying to eliminate things from my issue search and can't figure out what to test it or bypass it... My theory is that if I can bypass it and it starts, then it's the issue.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a good look at that component and wrote this diatribe about it. Includes instructions for bypass:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tec...lle-side-stand-switch-in-just-1477-words.html
Wow I wish I had half your knowledge about this stuff! I wouldn't have to resort to coming on here and asking stupid questions. There should seriously be a thread on here called "Ask Forchetto." Now this time I will be taking the computer into the garage when get home and use that thread as a guide. Should save me replacing another perfectly good solenoid type situation.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tried the by-pass...

Still nada...

Is there any wire that goes into the back of the dash console that I could have messed up playing with the dash lighting when I took the back off the gauges or for the idiot light area?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts