Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not rebuilt. Should I be worried? I'm 50/50 on it because if it checks out, why not? Thoughts?

Asking $4,500.

Previous owner told him that it was stolen. Insurance paid it out. Then it was recovered a few months later and the owner bought it back.

This is a standard 2005 Triumph Bonneville with 8,200 miles. The bike has a salvage title but runs perfectly. I have removed the side covers and installed pod filters on the carbs as well as removed the front fender. The bike has an aftermarket Sprint exhaust on it, but comes with the stock exhaust as well. I have a Corbin Gunfighter seat as well as the stock seat. I have a full carb tuning kit with many different sized injectors and pilots for tuning. I also have a bobbed front fender I purchased but haven't had painted yet. the spark plugs are brand new as well. The tires are almost brand new and the brakes still have plenty of pad left.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I'd have the bike checked over thoroughly by a shop to verify there is no damage, and confirm it was salvaged due to theft, not an accident totaling it, but my experience with a salvage-titled car in CA was no different than any other car - registration, insurance, etc., all just as easy, with no problems whatsoever.
It seems that the first person getting the car registered after salvaging has all the hassle with the DMV, CHP, etc., but after that, smooth sailing. The only downside is that salvaged vehicles typically command far less $$ than other vehicles, all else being equal.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Too much $$ even with a clean title. Pass.

/M

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I got the VIN. The owner just told me he has it insured with AAA (my same company) and it's registered in his name through the CA DMV system.

I should probably get an inspection done anyways. He said it rides straight and everything checked out mechanically when he bought it. He was comfortable buying it. Still...would rather have an inspection done.

As of now, it looks like I shouldn't have any issues insuring it (no collision though) and registering it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Too much story. I'd be suspect.

Salvage and theft with no damage... does not set right.

I had a vehicle stolen in Calif with much the same scenario.
Salvage title did not enter the picture.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
At $2500...ANYTHING with Salvage title is always a gamble

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Both my Ducatis had salvage titles when I bought them. I paid half what I would have otherwise and sold them at a similar discount. The frames were dented but still straight. Not worth repairing but great fun and perfectly rideable the way they were. Have the bike checked by a dealer for any hidden damage and offer half the going rate for the bike.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He's got a few others coming to look at it over the next couple of days. If it sells, it sells. I won't be too disappointed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ya. Price is too high. I just picked up an 03 with 6k miles for 3 grand a couple weeks ago. This close to winter + salvage should = cheap as dirt

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would pass unless they take around $3,500 and I still would have to be in love. I gave $6,200 for a 09 with 300 miles on it and it had sleeper pipes installed.

·
Registered
376 Posts
For $4200 I know where you can pick up a stock and mint 2001 Bonnie with only 2,164 miles, clear title and in California. PM me for details if interested.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Just got offered yesterday a 2007 Thruxton with less than 1800 mi on the clock for $4000. My garage is so packed with bikes I couldn't fit a Schwinn in there.

Actually, I'm holding out for a 2010 Harley Sportster XR1200 a guy I know is trying to sell. 1100 mi for $6000. I'm hoping once the snow start flying I can get him down to $5K.

/M

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I wouldn't pay $4200 for a stock mint 2001 either but maybe prices are higher in CA.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts