Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of our Bonnie riders tried out the Ducati GT1000 or the HD XR1200? My pockets are not deep enough for either but I still like to look. The Duc is pretty but at $11.5K ? The HD does not have the classic looks but does look serious and has the performance stats. There again it is coming in at $10.8K It looks like Ducati is taking dead aim at the Triumph modern classics with their versions of the Bonnie and the Thruxton. I just wondered if someone has compared them to the real world experience of the Bonnie?

Pops

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Pops,
There is a Triumph Ducati dealer a half a mile from my office and I pass them 2 times a day. They just got a silver GT1000 used which they put out front. I sat on it and they offered me a demo ride, but so far I resisted. I don't want to get worked up and buy it. Anyway -I found this Video comparison, its pretty good but the accents make it a little hard to understand. Its th XR, the GT and a Moto Guzzi . Interesting that they found the Gt1000 "soul less"but fun and they did't really like the HD at all.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x64rca_harley-davidson-xr1200-takes-on-duc_auto

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I remember that both comparisons have been made by magazine articles. And I believe the articles for both have been posted on this site. You may try the search feature or google the articles directly.

As I recall, the Bonnie didn't fair badly compared with the other bikes. Many who read the article matching the Bonneville with the Sportster 1200 said it was really unfair because the HD 883 would have been closer in engine size. Even with that disparity, the stock Bonnie held it's own in performance and was shown to be better in several categories.

Once again, going by memory, the Ducati comparison article had the Ducati winning with performance, steering, etc. but the price difference was highlighed in the article and most here agreed. If the Bonnie had the price tag of the Ducati it would have a lot of the high-priced suspension and engine bits too.

Another personal, and prejudiced, observation about cost. My buddy has a Ducati Multistrada. The shop costs are very high and the bike is too complicated for him to work on himself. I do all the work and maintenance on my Scrambler myself from the manual. Even engine work. It's simple and actually fun to work on. When you talk about price, make sure you figure in maintenance and repair costs for the long term.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Have any of our Bonnie riders tried out the Ducati GT1000 or the HD XR1200? My pockets are not deep enough for either but I still like to look. The Duc is pretty but at $11.5K ? The HD does not have the classic looks but does look serious and has the performance stats. There again it is coming in at $10.8K It looks like Ducati is taking dead aim at the Triumph modern classics with their versions of the Bonnie and the Thruxton. I just wondered if someone has compared them to the real world experience of the Bonnie?

Pops
A direct comparison is difficult as they are all retro "looks" at different points of motorcycles in their company's history. And they are all built to different price/spec levels...

I own a Bonnie (obviously)... I went with a friend to do a test ride on the GT1000. My friend went out first... liked it, except for the front down/butt up riding position... though naot as aggressive as modern sportsbikes and other Ducatis... I did not ride it due to a bearing rattle that developed during his test ride... Hmmm... on a brand new bike too... I sat on one at the dealership and would have to do one of two things... Either get longer fork tubes or lower the rear end to "level out" the riding position... Plus, to upgrade the suspension (the rear shock is a modest Sach's unit) and put a "nice" exhaust system on it would add another $2k+ to the price... The Termigionni's (spell ck. please) were the only option at that time and retailed for $1800 for the set up...

I did do a demo ride on the XR1200 a couple of weeks ago while at Daytona... I'm not a v-twin guy... I just never cared for that engine layout... But I do like the look and heritage factor Harley is shooting for... The ergos are great... the handling, such as I could tell on a seven mile ride around the speedway, is great, a bit sharper than the Bonnie perhaps... The brakes were excellent... I was underwhelmed by the engine performance and overwhelmed by the vibration from 3k rpms down to idle... It shook like a paint shaker... Some people call that "character"... I call it annoying... and I worry if my crowns and fillings might not fall out! I had heard about the "awesome" torque of the v-twin... and the XR1200 is supposed to be a 90hp/70 ft. lb. of torque engine... I was not "blown away" with its performance... It actually felt weaker than my modded Bonnie that puts out 70hp and 50 ft. lbs. at the rear wheel... Again, you'll drop some big bucks upgrading the exhaust and suspension...

My two cents worth here... I bought an '03 T100 used for $4k and put another $1500 in performance upgrades on it... Air box carve w/K&N pod filters. EPCO peashooter exhaust. "Pie Man" juiced igniter. Progressive 440 series shocks and dual rate fork springs. Spiegler brake lines and EBC HH pads ( a wear/ replacement item actually)... So, for around $5500 I have a Bonnie that will handle and the ride quality is comparable/better... The engine, though a 790, will run close to them up to 100 mph and sounds better... The brakes... well... they are improved and work well, but of course, are no match on absolute stopping power of a dual disc set up... I prefer the look of the Bonnie and the Brit parallel twin engine. I prefer the ergos and versatility of the Bonnie... And I prefer the reliability and ease of maintainence...

All that for less than half of the buy in and mod price of the other two... Yes, I'm am comparing a used Bonnie to a new Duc or Harley... Will you every be able to buy a decent one of those for half their list price?

BTW... if you go by magazine comparos... the Bonnie, in stock form, will always "lose out" to either the Duc or 1200 Harleys.... But then again, let me enter my "little 790" into the competition...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Real World

Yeah SC,

That is what I meant by real world. I just wish you wouldn't hold back so much!:D Magazine reviews are ok for a reference but I feel like they tell to much of what they think their market wants to hear and not enough of what they need to hear. Especially if the manufacturer dumps a ton of money on them for advertising. In business it just makes sense not to trash your customer's products. Specs are misleading too because you don't know who supplied the data and many times even if the data is accurate it doesn't translate to the real world.

As for the bike's themselves, I love the looks of the Duc, almost as much as my Bonnie, but even if I were in the market, the cost, purchase and maintenance, would be prohibited. The HD does not grab me with the looks and with the extra money you could have a beautiful beast of a Bonnie or Thruxton.

Make that 4 cents now.

Pops

·
Registered
960 Posts
Reviews have an objective side (data) and a subjective side (opinion)... I don't know if the ad money aspect has a whole lot to do with whether a review is "good or bad"... I will tell you and I subscribe all "the usual" US MC magazines (they're cheap and have some value) and a number of the UK magazines... The UK (modern - not classic coverage) mags are MUCH more in depth... MUCH more sportsbike/performance oriented... But they are not afraid to "call it as they see it" and they readily admit, that most bikes today are so good... so well made, that you choose the one that suits you and ride off happy...

OK... that said... the design basis for the "New Bonnie" (et al) is one of a nice retro middleweight... Fun to ride, non threatening and reliable... In its stock form, it has some bits (suspension come readily to mind) built to a budget price point and rather conservative in its performance... What a reviewer might term "bland"... So it is unfair to compare it, in stock form, to a bike built to a higher performance/cost design basis....

On the plus side of the Bonnie, is that it is really easy and fairly inexpensive to "wake up" decent performance... And if you really want to build a reasonably high performance version... you can...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
IMHO: GT1000. No comparision. Sorry if this offends anyone.

/Mike

·
Registered
763 Posts
Agree. I love my Triumph, but a GT1000 would really light my fire on a twisty course with some good straights for all that acceleration! Ducati knows how to pump out some power from two cylinders...

Considered HD's 1200 roadster, then they quit making that particular model, and the Triumph was lighter anyway.

The Duc though... That's a bike! :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
IMHO: GT1000. No comparision. Sorry if this offends anyone.

/Mike
Bring it on big boy!! You and me... mano au mano.... you and your Duc against me and my Bonnie.... Cherohala Skyway... the first weekend in May... =:-0

Weellll... what do ya say????

I believe I already have a match race scheduled with some alcoholic Harley dude that said he could beat me on an 883.... I'll do the "double".... =;-0

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Cycle World did a comparison on all three. The GT1000 performance wise was in a league of its own compared to the Bonnie and the Harley.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Cycle World did a comparison on all three. The GT1000 performance wise was in a league of its own compared to the Bonnie and the Harley.
If you're buying any of the three you mentioned based solely on performance... go buy any of the UJM 600 sportsbikes... or better yet, get a Street Triple R... for a bit over 9 grand it'll smoke the Duc... in every category...

You buy "retro" bikes for other reasons than sheer performance... And all three of the mentioned bikes are good ones and have their own strengths, weaknesses and appeal. The 790 Bonnie spots the Duc 210cc's and the Duc's engine was designed with different design and performance parameters in mind.. I'll put my '03 T100 up against a stock GT1000... It may beat me... Most likely will, but it won't be by much and it cost me less than half what a GT1000 does... Plus it's a better looking bike, most likely more reliable and costs less to maintain to boot!!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

Pops
I've never cared for Harley's. I just didn't care for the look. But, Ihave a serious crush on that XR1200. I hope it is fun to ride. I sat on one at the motorcycle show. Felt good.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have test ridden a GT1000 and quite liked it. Being 25 and broke, that pretty much solves that.

However I prefer the metal tank of the T100, and I like that the list of special tools is much smaller. There is also I think a greater amount of personalization options for the Triumph than the Duke, I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Also when considering the price, factor in what you have to put into the Triumph when you buy it, if you want that extra bit of suspension you have to invest in the shocks and springs, you might want a more comfortable seat, or different mufflers...

The few places where I think the Triumph falls short of the Ducati in feel and ride, can all be made up pretty easily, but it begins to bring you up closer to the Ducati price tag.

Edit: If I missed anything in the thread it's because I started this reply, then went bowling, went to a friend's, went to a Diner, then came home and finished it.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Just buy the dang GT. You'll never have cause to regret it. Oh, and do a search of these forums for GT1000. This subject has been well hashed out here.

PS: Mike's right! (Bellacorse)

·
Registered
276 Posts
How come you didn't go riding?:confused::D:eek::D
The Atlas needs work, the Triton needs re-wired, and the T100 is somewhere inbetween Phoenix and Here in the back of an 18 wheeler... *sigh*

·
Registered
276 Posts
It was 17 degrees out last night, today a high of 42!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.