Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those that are contemplating purchasing the Sargent Cycle Fast Access Pins, these pins work great….although you will need to refine them with a simple fix.

As delivered, the pins, once installed, have too large of a gap between the pin’s washer and the rear tabs on the seat. This will allow the seat to work its way aft and become loose.

To eliminate this movement, purchase a few ¾-inch long steel spacers at the hardware store and install one on each pin as shown.

I tried the knurled knob pins from British Customs, New Bonneville, etc. however, they never seemed to be secure enough without tightening with an Allen wrench…..which kind of defeats the purpose!

These Sargent Cycle pins are truly a quick easy way to remove the seat and once installed correctly, they are very secure.

You will need to drill out the threads with a ¼-inch drill bit to install……and….do not slide the washer onto the pin before installing the spacer as the washer has a rubber back that will seat in the pin’s groove. Once there…..it will not slide back off!!!!!!!

http://www.sargentcycle.com/acfastaccess.htm

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Thanks, Carlsbad. A thorny problem for Hinckley Bonneville owners resolved. Oh, do I miss the hinged seat of old - release the latch and lift!
Your solution looks great, and I think I shall try it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Wow! I just found this thread - that is super cool. Will these work on my 09 T100 seat? I absolutely detest the supplied allen wrench for removing the seat. Not to mention fumbling with those screws. Arggghhh! I would consider this a "life changing mod!" Bravo!

:party

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
A small follow up to this great mod:

If you see &#190 steel spacer, that is 3/4" and &#188 drill is 1/4". Some browsers or platforms (iPad for instance) don't always display the fraction characters well.

Also on my Bonnie SE I had to loosen the taillight housing and move it out of the way to line the drill up with the holes. I don't know if the T100s are lower on the fender and less in the way. Just a heads-up.

-Kurt

·
Premium Member
20,731 Posts
Looked at the Sargent site and you have to phone them to order. Not very convenient really in a shopping cart/Paypal world.

Went to Ebay and put in "quick release pins" and hundreds come up. Not that many in the 6 mm range, but they have some really handsome models, a bit cheaper than Sargents as well. This 1/4" diameter example are $26.95 the pair against Sargents $36.95 for a pair:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moroso-Quick-Release-Pin-90380-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem56431f059bQQitemZ370493293979QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Most models tend to be too long for our application so the OP's suggestion of adding a spacer still applies.

However I've found this one that is 1/4" in diameter and has a grip length of 0.5 to 0.520 inches and might be suitable for our purposes. They're only $11 each so I think I'll try a pair:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AVIBANK-BALL-LOK-QUICK-RELEASE-PIN-P-N-MS-17986-405-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35aea3940cQQitemZ230563222540QQptZMotorsQ5fAviationQ5fPartsQ5fGear

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Ernesto

I for one would be interested in your findings with those if you do decide to get some. Look forward to one of your usual comprehensive and detailed reports! I guess you don't actually need to remove the seat that often, but even using the tool free bolts (a la Jenks) it's a bit of a pain. Especially as you have to remember to nip them up again after riding the bike as they tend to loosen off the first time after replacing the seat.

·
Premium Member
20,731 Posts
Ernesto

I for one would be interested in your findings with those if you do decide to get some.
I've ordered some this morning. Will let you know. I imagine I'll have to ream or drill out the threads on the existing welded nuts for the fastener to go through so once that's done it's Goodnight Vienna for the normal threaded fixings...

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I've ordered some this morning. Will let you know. I imagine I'll have to ream or drill out the threads on the existing welded nuts for the fastener to go through so once that's done it's Goodnight Vienna for the normal threaded fixings...
Well, since both of mine are stripped, it won't be a problem for me ;)
Seriously, going to check out one of the local marine supply stores this week, but I'm sure e-bay is a lot cheaper than those pirates. Anything marine (just like aviation) is 5 times the price of a normal store.

·
Premium Member
20,731 Posts
The Firm that makes the quick release fasteners I've ordered from ebay is AVIBANK and they have a web page where you can select from a range of those pins in various diameters and lengths, I still think the 1/4" diameter and 1/2" length will do for us:

https://www.avibank.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.hotlist

They have two versions, BA handle:

And TA handle:

They have a shopping cart and do Paypal as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know many want access under the seat and so do I. But one has to ask, just how often do you take the seat off while riding out on the road? I remove the seat typically for maintenance and not while out on the road. Quick disconnects also make it easy to take off the seat for somebody other than who owns the bike. :)
My approach is a bit more ordinary. I use the stock seat bolts with serrated washers which never come loose and use the allen wrench from under the side cover to remove the seat if out on the road in an emergency. Yes this is more fiddly then an extension and socket allen I always use in the garage but I virtually never take the seat off away from home. Also, hand torque extended bolts tend to work loose as well and if the seat generally doesn't come off out on the road, what's the point other than to tempt somebody to steal your battery. ;)

The key is, one needs access to under the side covers and under the seat to the battery in an emergency. This is easily accomplished with British Customs knurled knob side cover bolts which will stay in place hand tight because they aren't loaded as with a seat. This allows access to the allen wrench in the event of an emergency or access to the starter relay if the bike won't fire. Also, if you own an EFI bike and don't want to get stranded, I highly encourage you to perform Forchetto's starter relay mod. I personally did it with a golf tee I keep stored under the side cover along with seat allen wrench.
My 2 cents...

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
My reasoning for the quick release are two fold. I use the solo seat primarily but like quick access to swap out to the two-up stock seat if the wife is up for a ride. Second it's nice to get to the ECU connector if I'm testing via buttdyno and the less fiddling means the previous ride's impression is fresher in my mind.

Plus I got a really good deal on ebay for a pair of pins cheaper than a single one through Sargent's site. $12 and 15 minutes of my time and I felt it was worth it.

The security concern could be a valid point. I'm going to look into some kind of locking mechanism.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
The required "grip length" is 0.57 inches (14.65 mm). So a 0.5 inch quick release pin will be a bit short. I measured it this morning with my vernier calipers. If you've already ordered these Forchetto, you can just grind down the nut on the frame a touch. Alternatively, remove the metal grommet in the seat tab. That will get you the required reduction, and really, you shouldn't need it with these pins. Their heads already distribute the forces around the tab.

The bolt hole is M5, so you also have to drill out the M5 nut welded to the frame with a 1/4" bit as you stated.

·
Premium Member
20,731 Posts
Good job I haven't quite done it yet...:)

See a quick update on this other seat release thread:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/134967-quick-release-seat-bolts-pins-8.html#post1893013

These are the measurements I've recorded on mine:

For the standard seat they add up to 13mm, more or less 1/2", that's the effective pin grip range.

For the Corbin that I have it's 9.9mm. I would have to add washers, 2x M6x1.5mm thick for a total length of 12.9mm, again close enough to 1/2".

Perhaps I got some measurement wrong, I was under the influence of some Asturian Cider at the time. I'll check again.

Here are some more photos.

This is the complete set-up that would fix both the standard seat and the Corbin Gunfighter seat. The tubing is just there to keep the pins together and the whole lot is released as one piece. The M6 washers are held captive by the locking balls so they won't fall out everytime the device is removed

·
Registered
206 Posts
I picked these up on Ebay. Five quick releases for just $7.95. Used, but very good quality, stainless steel. Two locking balls on each pin. Drilled the welded on nuts with a 1/4" drill and had to grind off a little material on the back side of the nut for these to fit since the effective grip area is just under 1/2". They work just fine. When I bought mine these popped up so he seems to have a number of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-USED-1-4-QUICK-RELEASE-PINS-SPACE-LOK-USA-1003-/310301761551?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item483f6d200f

Chris

1 - 20 of 26 Posts