Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It had been two weeks since I'd been able to ride - a combination of nasty weather and a travel schedule. Since I ride year-round, I did not want to go any longer without starting my '07 Bonnie up and giving her some exercise.

Hate to ride when it's below freezing for the obvious reasons, e.g., it's just plain cold, black ice, etc., but I hate worse to end up with a dead battery. I don't have, or want, a battery tender, and thus, once in awhile you just have to climb aboard regardless - especially with snow in the forecast this week.

Went for a 15 mile short buzz, but brother, it sure felt wonderful to be riding again - albeit I felt like I had brain freeze the first couple of miles on the highway!

Went to the Mid-Atlantic Motorcycle show the day prior at the Maryland fairgrounds and purchased some heated gloves - but these are unique because the heat source is a rechargeable battery carried in a small pouch on the outside of each glove; thus, no wires attached to the bike.

The gloves stay at a 60 degree F temp, and the charge lasts 4-6 hours.

I was not able to use them yesterday because the initial charge must be conducted for 24 hours. Subsequently, however, a recharge is only 4 hours.

I wore the gloves w/o the heating element yesterday and they were quite comfortable, albeit my fingertips started to get cold.

when I run them with the battery pack, I'll let you know just how well they work. However, I tried them last evening outside and they heat up quickly and get nice and toasty.

ride on

rick

·
Registered
711 Posts
Excellent! We have been up in down from the teens to mid forties lately and I have been grabbing a ride every chance I get. My goal was/is to avoid the battery tender as well, so far-so good.

Ride safe.
Cheers!
BobW

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I hear ya. It's hard to get rides in this time of year. I got a short one in last weekend, it got just above freezing. Yesterday it got into the low 40's and sunny. Rode again. It wasn't too bad. That's about my limit on temp. I have an old Eddie Bauer snowmobile suit I wear and it's very comfortable. The only thing that still gets cold is my finger tips. For once I welcome red lights so I can warm my hands on the cam covers.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nothin like a brisk Winter ride to recharge the batteries...both yours and the bikes.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Good job! I have been thinking about it a lot lately, but it's not so much the cold I mind but the horrible things road salt does to bikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts