Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am counting the days until I pick up my new T100 Black & Opal and am a little concerned with the postings I am reading about with ignition related problems.

I don't know what an "igniter" is (by that terminology) but assume that it is a sealed ignition module black box. Coils are coils, and a pick up sensor I believe would read the cam or crankshaft position and tell the "igniter" when to fire a charge to the coil en route to the spark plug.

My cottage is 3 hours away and don't want to be stranded with a "no spark" condition. How much of an issue is this? It seems that a lot of RATS on this forum have been stranded with similar issues.

I once pushed my CB750 Honda 10 miles when it conked out (I was young and an idiot, but also in better shape) as I knew the bike would not be there when I returned with a trailer had I left it.

That isn't an option now as I would likely have a cardiac event and would thrash around on the gravel shoulder like a wounded harbour seal before expiring. My pushing days are over. The cottage is in a cellular "dead spot".

I would appreciate any comments to dispel or confirm my concerns.

Thanks.

:???:

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Despite your concerns I have never had any ignition problems with my Bonnie. I have almost 6000 miles on her and its never entered my mind.

If have found the reliability to be excellent and then some.

·
Registered
200 Posts
apparently you can test them with a multimeter

maybe your best bet is to go to a dealer and ask them to check it.

No problem with mine but then I have a '01 790.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
no probs here, except for the self inflicted ones!

One thing about these forums is that you'll hear more problems with the bikes than actually exist, sure things happen but how many of us post to say the bike is running great everyday? As soon as I have a problem I can't figure out I'll post it on here, it seems to amplify the situation.

These bikes are as reliable as anything with the letters H-O-N-D-A on it.

[ This message was edited by: sweatmachine on 2007-02-28 10:45 ]

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
06 Black Bonnie running great :-D :-D

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have not had any problems, but if you worry, carry a spare.
You can likely get one used or on line, or even buy a new one with the higher red line and keep the original as a spare.
Maybe get a new pickup coil as well...

If you have the part with you, it will never go bad, just like if you have tools with you, you dont have problems. But forget once and WHAM!

Brett

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
'04 stock ignition box never had a problem. Going with the upgrade for the 904 bore & cams. Bonnies are extremely well made.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think on the whole that the Bonnie is a very reliable bike, I did suffer a bad coil at only 700 miles on a new Bonnie in the rain and I am about two hours from my dealer, so I wasn't very happy about trailering down a new bike for a diagnostic.

I will replace my stock coil on my scrambler with a noligy and keep the original as a spare.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
10,000+ miles and never even a hiccup. I've ridden in 100-degree weather and in pissing, torrential downpours. The bike has never skipped a beat.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
.... machines is machines..... ya jus' never know.

Two Bonnies:
22,000 miles on one
4,000 miles on my current one

No problems, NONE!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had my Bonnie Black since August - already have over 4k miles on her.

The only problem I've ever had, and it happened exactly once involved me filling the tank to the brim and not waiting a sec before putting the cap on - I believe there's a tube that allows some air into the tank that got clogged, and after riding on the baltimore beltway for an hour in bumper to bumper traffic in a storm, when I finally was able to open her up there was no power - so, I pulled over, had a hunch it was a clogged breathing tube (or whatever that thing is callled) took my cap off, counted to five, put it back on and left.

wasn't a problem after that, nor ever again.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Mine is very reliable. 6200 miles, no mods, no problems, no issues.

Sweat is right. We post our problems here; seldom post that everything is "fine."

Also, many of the "problems" posted on the tech forums here are what I agree are "self-inflicted;" ie, issues that develop because we are changing something from stock. If you are going to modify you have to expect some glitches from time to time 'til you get the set up "right."

Monte :-D

[ This message was edited by: mecscc on 2007-02-28 16:48 ]

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks fellow RATS. I feel much better now.

I keep playing with all the parts that I'm going to install on this bike! Take the Monza Cap out of the box, open the cap, close the cap, give it a little wipe with my hand, pack it up again. Tell friends who don't ride how much it cost. Have same friends tell me I'm an idiot.

About 25 days to a wake up..........snow will be gone...and I will pick up my bike.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would suggest you don't invent problems that don't and probably won't exist for your bike. These are very reliable motorbikes and with care should last a very long time.

I've certainly been very satisfied with mine.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Phil,

Appreciate the comment but I am not inventing anything, or looking for problems that don't exist that may distract from the enjoyment of my new bike. I am passionate about motorcycles and research everything I can read on every model and make.

Remember the first generation 1983 Honda Interceptors and the cams spalling every 2,000 km and requiring replacement? This was a wide spread problem from a manufacturer with arguably the largest R&D facilities in the world. It happens. Certain models of certain bikes have their Achilles heal.

It just seemed to me after being on this site several times a day for months I was starting to see a trend with ignition related problems. I just wanted to pose the question and see what the responses were. I'm sure glad I did as the responses were overwhelmingly favorable.

Without a doubt this chat group is the best source of M/C information I have ever seen by a great group of passionate riders. I am absolutely blown away and addicted to it.

nullstarting

·
Registered
827 Posts
The first problem you'll have is that Monza cap! Hand it over quiet and things will be fine! :-D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts