Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have an 08 Bonnie, with a little over 900 miles on it. Ever since the 500 mile service, I've sometimes noticed a burning oil smell. After a ride this weekend a couple of oil spots showed up on the garage floor. After taking a closer look, I discovered the area of the leak (see photo--the arrow shows how far the leaking oil spread). It's on the underside of the bike, towards the front.

Is this one common? Anyone know what exactly is leaking?

Many thanks

Attachments

·
30,184 Posts
Your bike should not be leaking oil - If it were my bike, I would be hassling the dealer about it.

I could not tell on the pic exactly where the oil is leaking from - have you pin pointed that? I can see the "stain" from the oil spread, but not the point of origin.

EDIT: Duh! sorry - I should have read your post more carefully. You are asking where it might be coming from. I'll have to go look at my own bike.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Looks like the oil galley plugs. Fairly common. The dealer will know about it, and should handle it regardless. No big deal :) Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My 07 started leaking from one of the two oil galley plugs up front. The dealer replaced them both and coated them with liquid silicon. Not a drop since. I would have done it myself, but that front one is a bugger to get to (remove starter) so I figured if someone was going to break a bolt I'd let the dealer do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

thanks everyone, I'll be taking into the dealer soon to get this fixed under warranty, but it's good to have a little insight into what's happening before I take in.

thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts