Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did the air box removal, UNI filters. Made my own battery box. The problem is it will not start. I've had it run a few times but will not keep running. So far I've tried 0, 1, and 2 shins no luck. Different pilot screw settings, no luck. Checked for vac leaks and other loose stuff, but still no go. The throttle calbes were adjusted to spec. The settings so far, went with jenks settings, 135 mains, thruxton needles, different shim settings, stock pilot jets 40. Even the dealer said the settings seem close. The bike is a 790 with tors. Any ideas would help. I am searching more threads but no luck.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Soon as it stops running turn the fuel tap to off then open the bowl drain taps and see how much fuel comes out this should give you a indication of fuel starvation.

It could be something simple like a pinched vent hose,try removing the fuel cap to see if that helps.
:(

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Sounds like it is time to check all the electrical wiring that was disturbed/moved. Where did you relocate the fuse box to? Check all the wires that run under the carbs...there is a lot of things that can be disturbed when removing the airbox.

I will be very surprised if you are not running WAY RICH in the mid range with Thurxton needles and ANY shims. Now is not the time to play with the mid-range jetting. Check the Igniter connector and make sure it is tightly installed. Are you trying to start it in neutral with the kickstand up, and the clutch pulled in? Try to eliminate as many unknowns as you can.

Did you remove the "thing" the main jet screws into when replacing the main jets? This "thing" is called the needle jet holder, and if removed the needle jet (a small brass sleeve) can fall out of the carb. If you did remove the needle jet holders, remove the uni filters and look in the throat of the carbs and if the needle jets are in place you should be able to see the top of the needle jets (the needle will be going through them).

Pull the spark plugs and see if the engine is flooded. You messed with a lot of things, so don't assume it is one or the other (fuel or electrical). Start with very basic trouble-shooting until you have determined if your problem is with fuel or is electrical.

Good luck,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep check the simple things like not enough gas in the tank! Feeling really stupid at the moment. Now the thing runs great. First ride out didn't notice any flat spots, did get a few pops on letting off the throttle. No more than usual. Went with no shims, 2 turns out. Will post some pics of the my homemade battery box soon.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If you ve stayed with the 40s pilots 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 turns out should be in the ball park. You may get the occasional Keihin cough but better than bogging down with the 42s.
;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts