Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me which Bonneville is the Bonnie Black! Is it the Standard Bonnie, or the T100. Or are both known as Bonnie Black!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Can anyone tell me which Bonneville is the Bonnie Black! Is it the Standard Bonnie, or the T100. Or are both known as Bonnie Black!
Me thinks the Bonnie Black is a T100 but the engine cases are black, no two tone paint scheme.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
You don't want to know BonnieBlack. He smells a bit strange and tends to follow strangers around.

I'd keep clear if I were you.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
The earlier Bonnies (before mag wheel Bonnies) had three models... Bonnie Black, Standard Bonnie and T100. The Bonnie Black was merely a standard model Bonnie with jet black paint, and black engine finish.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I always understood that Bonnie Black meant the mag wheel bonneville in the standard format. The very base model. Black engine case, no "upgrades."

·
Registered
27 Posts
Close to a T100

I have a 2008. Its the same as a T100 except for...Single speedo (no tach), no fork gaiters, no tank knee pads, no "T100" side panel decal, no chrome engine covers, no ironing board seat. Otherwise, the spoked wheels are the same and the handlebars are 1".

My Bonnie Black 2008 now has all chrome engine covers and fork gaiters so its getting really close to a T100. I don't want knee pads and I prefer the standard seat to the flat one.

So, when I go into my dealer to order parts I just tell him its a T100 so that I know they'll fit. The SE parts are all different (handlebars and all controls are 7/8", mufflers are different, stock height is lower, mag wheels, yuck :FunnyFace...)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
:laughhard

·
Registered
453 Posts
Correct me if this isn't correct. The" Bonnie Black" has a 790cc engine with a hotter cam than the 865cc bikes which followed. The black was the least expensive of the Bonnies. It had no tach and the motor was blacked out and not chromed like the regular and T100. I think the 790cc went to 865cc in 2008?
So the "Bonnie Black" didn't have a tach, a two color paint job or chrome on the cases.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Bonneville Black. It's a T100 with blacked out engine cases and "jet black" paint. There is no metallic flake in the jet black paint. The base model black has metal flake in it I believe.

·
Driftless Admin
11,499 Posts
Personally, I consider any Bonneville with black tank and black engine case as a Bonnie Black.

Obviously the older spoke-wheel version without tachometer. Back in the happy days when the coolest model was also the cheapest.

Then the mag-wheel version. Still blacked-out and a base model, so I figure it qualifies. Still pretty cool, but not spoked-wheel cool. ;)

And now the T-100 blacked out, spoked-wheel version. Certainly cool, but not the cheap base model anymore. It now comes with a very expensive tach, compared to the originals. I'd almost like to say it doesn't deserve the "Bonnie Black" title for that reason, but I'm feeling inclusive today.

Correct me if this isn't correct. The" Bonnie Black" has a 790cc engine with a hotter cam than the 865cc bikes which followed. The black was the least expensive of the Bonnies. It had no tach and the motor was blacked out and not chromed like the regular and T100. I think the 790cc went to 865cc in 2008?
So the "Bonnie Black" didn't have a tach, a two color paint job or chrome on the cases.
Correct, but they made the 2008 Bonnie Black in carbs/865 motor as well. Same style, bigger engine, no tach, cheap base model. There were also a few of those with the EFI package sold in late 2008, mostly in Canada I think.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Correct. My 2008 was, in fact, a Bonneville Black. Black engine with black cases, jet black tank and fender, no tachometer, spoke wheels, no gators, no knee pads. It was the most base model you could get at the time. (When they all had spoke wheels.)

Conversely, my best friend bought a 2008 T100 at the exact same time as me. His bike had a metallic colored engine with chrome cases, tachometer, two-toned paint, and knee pads. EVERYTHING else was identical. Even the seats where the same back then.

Here's a pic of my bike when it was bone stock and you can see my friends just behind it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
As an owner of a 2005 790cc Bonneville Black, I can say with great certainty that all Bonneville Blacks are black Bonnevilles, but all black Bonnevilles are not Bonneville Blacks. And as falls Witchita, so falls Witchita Falls.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts