Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys. Ive got a 78 Bonnie that sat in the garage for the past year. Started it up the other day and it ran rough, white smoke coming out more one of the pipes then the other, and coughing pretty bad. Drained gas, replaced with new gas, new plugs, and new coil wires. Starts on first kick, and idles great. Problem is when I start to ride off it back fires, kicks, and sputters big time........Any ideas on how to resolve? Was thinking timing issue, but whats the deal with the white smoke...and if it was a timing issue would it idle so well?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Choke lever seems to working the same as it always has, need to prop open til she fires. It idles fine, its happening after its warmed up and when I try to take off.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hey Guys. Ive got a 78 Bonnie that sat in the garage for the past year. Started it up the other day and it ran rough, white smoke coming out more one of the pipes then the other, and coughing pretty bad. Drained gas, replaced with new gas, new plugs, and new coil wires. Starts on first kick, and idles great. Problem is when I start to ride off it back fires, kicks, and sputters big time........Any ideas on how to resolve? Was thinking timing issue, but whats the deal with the white smoke...and if it was a timing issue would it idle so well?
Zeus,

Humm, a little more information might give so other some ideas
for you.

What kind of ignition system do you have?
What kind of carburators are on your ride as well?

It sounds more like a gummed up carburators, idle circut is fine but
you are having problem with the transfer. Cleaning the carburators
should help out.

Also if you just parked the bike last year, and have done nothing to
it, the timing would not have changed. But it would depend on
if you have points or not. If points, clean the contacts, and replace
the condensors.

White smoke may just be water burning off out of the exhaust
packing.

Pookybear

·
Registered
161 Posts
Check the integrity and fit of the balance tube and carburetor connecting sleeves. These items work ok at idle but allow air into the stream when the rpms go up if cracked or loose. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pookybear

Im running stock ignition, with stock amal carbs. Condensors were replaced last season, but didnt clean points, the contacts appeared to be clean(Ill give it a shot tonight). Both carbs were rebuilt 2 years ago and both connecting sleeves were replaced. The white smoke is only coming out the timing side exhaust......Could this mean Im running to lean?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Pookybear

Im running stock ignition, with stock amal carbs. Condensors were replaced last season, but didnt clean points, the contacts appeared to be clean(Ill give it a shot tonight). Both carbs were rebuilt 2 years ago and both connecting sleeves were replaced. The white smoke is only coming out the timing side exhaust......Could this mean Im running to lean?
Zeus,

Running lean blues up the exhaust pipes. The smoke is something
else. Condensors do go flat with non use, that is why I mentioned
that one. Since the carburators were rebuilt I am sure they will
work fine once cleaned. Remember gas only takes 3 months to
start turning into varnish!

Pookybear

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zeus,

Running lean blues up the exhaust pipes. The smoke is something
else. Condensors do go flat with non use, that is why I mentioned
that one. Since the carburators were rebuilt I am sure they will
work fine once cleaned. Remember gas only takes 3 months to
start turning into varnish!

Pookybear
Pulled apart carbs, they looked brand new. I got them soaking now. Ordered new points and condensors they will be here Friday morning. Hopefully this fixes the problem. Ill keep you posted.

Thanks!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Pulled apart carbs, they looked brand new. I got them soaking now. Ordered new points and condensors they will be here Friday morning. Hopefully this fixes the problem. Ill keep you posted.

Thanks!
Zeus,

Let us know when you get it back together. It is going to be
something very simple. Bikes just do not break stuff sitting
there. So look at the easy stuff. While you have the bike down
awaiting parts. Take the time to clean up some electrical
connections in the ignition system as well. Make sure everything
has good contact at the coils and the kill switch.

Pookybear

·
Registered
140 Posts
After 12 months the fuel is probably stale dump it and try again, hopefully it hasnt gummed up the carbs

·
Registered
140 Posts
After 12 months the fuel is probably stale dump it and try again, hopefully it hasnt gummed up the carbs
Sorry should have read the whole story Ive had this problem before turned out to be sticking slided putting the carbs out of balance.
wouldnt hurt to check the battery as low voltage can be a problem as the the battery is taking all the power from the alternator and there is not enough for the ignition system

1 - 12 of 12 Posts