Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
154 Posts
I'm only 5'4" and use the National Cycle Street Shield EX. Once you fit the handlebar and fork clamps it comes on and off in a couple of minutes.

The shield reduces wind noise to almost nothing, which is the main reason I got it for my last bike (universal fitting) as I don't like earplugs and hate wind noise. For a taller person it'd still work OK I reckon, and messing with the tilt would probably give you a similar result to me.

It's not the prettiest windscreen in the world, but it looks OK to me and it's very practical. It also costs a LOT less than the official Triumph stuff.

EDIT: if you fit one of these, be careful to note the length of the stanchions that fit to the forks. As it's a universal fit, these are pretty long and I had to hacksaw mine down a little to avoid the extra length projecting too far back and scraping the side pods on my Virago. Dunno if I'd have had any issues with the originals on the Bonnie as the cut down stanchions are short enough not to be a problem.

[ This message was edited by: steviek on 2006-11-29 10:21 ]

· Registered
154 Posts
On 2006-11-29 17:50, black-bonnie wrote:
I've tried the Street Shield EX and hated it. It captured side winds that really made my bike toss around. Plus it made a drone noise on my helmet that about drove me insane. I'm 5'6" (all muscle of course).

It just shows what works for one person does not always work with another. You'll just have to see what works for you. I wish there was an easy way like having a bunch to try out and picking the one that is best.
Very true! Even the type of helmet you wear is going to make a big difference as wind directed at certain parts of the helmet by a shield will have different sound and buffeting effects depending on the shape of the lid at that point, where the air vents are etc etc.

Probably the only way to go is look for something that's about the correct height and looks good to you, then if it doesn't work out in practical terms you can sell it on "as new" without losing too much cash. Good luck with your choice. If you find a screen that suits, you won't want to go back to riding a naked bike.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.