Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My legend has been at the shop having a few bits done this week and they were kind enough to send me home on a 06 bonneville black. I've had it for almost a week now and to be honest (and i'm loath to admit it) it runs rings around my Legend. Its not as quick off the mark but the handling and agility is way better. Now don't get me wrong, i prefer the looks and triple torque of the Legend but don't understand why the Legend handles worse than a basic bonni. I always thought the classic triples were supposed to be a step up. Please correct me if i am wrong. If the bonni is a better bike im trading up, if my legend just needs a few mods then its money well spent.
Im so confused, help me fellow triple riders.

Wayne

·
Registered
962 Posts
Wow, you need help!

I have also ridden the Bonnie Black, as well as Scrambler. I think the handling difference has to do with the Bonnies being lighter and thinner, with a lower center of gravity.

My impression of the bikes were that they weren't up to par in engine performance. I rode the Bonnie like my triple, and was greeted repeatedly by the rev limiter. I was a bit put-off, but if you get used to riding that way, it would probably be ok. It reminded me somewhat of a Harley or Buell twin, where all the action is in the low and mid range. It's not that the triples have that much more top end, but they do seem to pull harder and longer. My Tbird felt like a bit of a porker after my Bonnie test rides, but to me the triple is more satisfying.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Well, the Bonnie weighs in at 451 lb. dry and the Classics about 490 lb. dry.

That's only a 40 lb. difference but it's 9% of the total weight of the Bonnie!

That 9% is also 'leveraged' by the distance above the bike's center of gravity -- much higher on the Classics with an extra cylinder's worth of mechanicals and the cooling system.

That makes the Bonnie feel MUCH lighter and more agile than a Classic.

Jim

·
Read Only
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, forget everything I said!!!

I got my Legend back today and from 10mins of riding I was hooked again. I also found the downside to the bonnie. I rode it on a fast but rough dual carriageway on the way to pick up my bike and at 70mph upwards it felt like a camel. I had to slow down for fear of loosing it. To be fair the road surface was cr*p but the same road on the Legend (40 mins later) felt great right the way to the ton.

I'm now cured of my hankering for another ride and will be lavishing my true love (bike not girlfriend) with new things to make it even better than fantastic. (Saw some really great mirrors and indicators in Jack Lilley...)

If I ever stray again you guys are under instruction to kick my harris till I repent.

Now wheres my lid...

Wayne :wink:

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you want to improve the handling I would recommend Hagon front fork springs (£80) and Hagon rear shock (£250).The handling will be transformed.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
The stock Legend suspension etc is pants (same goes for the bonnie) - even a modest outlay can reap huge benefits to the handling - some stiffer springs (and maybe an oil weight change) in the front are a good place to start followed by a replacement rear shock as already suggested.

·
Read Only
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On 2006-11-23 21:03, Rincewind wrote:
Good choice, Wayne. :)
Hey Rincewind, I just been looking in your photo albums and noticed the pic captioned "the day i picked up my Tbird, May 16th 2002. Thats exactly 1 week after picked up my Legend...spooky.

Wayne

·
Registered
962 Posts
That's pretty cool, Wayne. Maybe our bikes saw each other coming off the line. :razz:

Hey, just to say - don't feel bad about considering other bikes. I actually do it all the time. Since getting my Tbird, I've tested a: Honda 919 & Superhawk; Triumph Daytona 650, Bonnie, Scrambler, Sprint and Tiger; a Ducati ST3 and Multistrada 620; a Buell Firebolt and Ulysses; a Suzuki V-strom 1000; and the BMW R1100S, K1200S, and F650CS. I gave the Multistrada the most consideration, but I've stuck with my Triple! Maybe I'll buy her some Hagon for Christmas. :)

[ This message was edited by: Rincewind on 2006-11-24 17:14 ]

·
Registered
212 Posts
I myself am planning on suspension upgrades for next season. Front and rear. I do want to say that I found when I put the lowwer handlebar kit on my ride it changed dramaticly. The bike feels heavier at low speeds, parking lots and the like, but on the road I liked it alot more than prior. With the stock bars the frontend felt too light to me, at speed you feel like stuart little, head wind and riding postion making you hang by your arms. Now the head wind gives me a lift off the bars at speed, and you rest a little heavier on the bars at low speed but not sport bike heavy. I like the change. The leverage is nice, you feel more in control. Its like going from power steering where you cant feel the road but it turns real easy, to rack and pinion where you feel the road, and what your tires are doing. That's my opinion for what it's worth. :-g

1 - 11 of 11 Posts